inverters

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 03:08
ThreadID: 121566 Views:4533 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
we would very much appreciate input on
is an inverter necessary
if so what type & size
how quickly do they run down your batteries
do people use them to run toasters,hair dryers electric jug (if so what watts)
thanks
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BushtrackerDevs - Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:16

Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:16
Hi Guys.

We bought our van a couple of months ago and opted for a 1300w inverter. We dont bother with it for toasters or electric jugs, but it is is invaluable for a 1000w microwave. We use this for toddler/kids meals so dont use it much - say up to 15 mins a day. With 3 batteries and 3 panels and this daily inverter use we still styaed fully charged on top of usual nightime battery usage ona recent trip in (sunny) qld. It has also been know to run hair straighteners and blenders!

The 1300w inverter is expensive, but as well as high output is also pure sine wave so will run laptop computers ect. We ummmed and ahhed for ages before buying one but certainly dont regret it.

Rob & Sara
AnswerID: 565281

Follow Up By:- Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 06:00

Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 06:00
Yep,limited use at high loads such as heating(MW oven) but good for light loads such as a satellite decoder/gadget battery charging etc for as long as you need. A pure sine wave inverter is the ONLY way to go.
We frequently bake bread with a bread maker when the batteries are fully replenished at the sun is high using the inverter....also do the washing.

Ernie(Aging is mandatory..acting your age is not!!!!!)
FollowupID: 844084

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 05:58

Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 05:58
I suppose it all depends on your personal circumstances. As a retired couple, We hardly ever use our inverter or microwave, and have often said that if we had our time over again we wouldn't put a microwave in the van. But I have never considered parents with younger children who would find it very handy to warm meals and baby bottles etc.

Ours is an 1800 watt and will run microwave, etc, but the electric jug is usually 2400watts so needs a generator or mains power. We find that the microwave sucks a lot out of the batteries if it is used for any more than a few minutes.

I know that there are 12 volt microwaves around so it may be worth while starting a new topic and checking to see if anyone has one and how they compare with 240 volt appliances along with power usage.

A small inverter is well worth while having to recharge batteries in phones, computers, cameras etc, but toasters and most cooking can be done just as easily with gas appliances.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 565282

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:32

Saturday, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:32
We have an inverter in our BT - when the phone car charger broke - i used it to charge the phone - took about an hour compared to several on the 12v charger. Great for the electric shaver (no excuse dear husband for being prickly!). No need to buy special 12 volt small appliances - just plug regular ones into the inverter. I presume it would work a TV ok - haven't tried that - he says we should have one - i say when on holiday we don't need TV. Having the inverter seems a great idea to me.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 565283

Reply By: Bogger John - Sunday, Nov 07, 2004 at 19:13

Sunday, Nov 07, 2004 at 19:13
We have a portable pure sine wave 150 w inverter that plugs into 12 volt outlets in the van and runs our TV (65 w) and charges camera/phones/computer. That suits us as we don't want to run any of the heavy power users while bush camping.

John
AnswerID: 565284

Follow Up By: TripnTaps - Sunday, Nov 07, 2004 at 22:37

Sunday, Nov 07, 2004 at 22:37
Hi there John,
What breed 150w pure sine wave inverter did you purchase? (and from whom) and if you dont mind my asking at what cost.

Thanks
Say hi to Jan for us,

Cheers,
Helen
FollowupID: 844085

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 at 16:45

Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 at 16:45
Hi

We have a 300W Dick Smith modified sine wave in the F250 and a 12V microwave too.

I spoke directly with Toshiba Tech at the Aus home office and they indicated that a modified sine was ok because you are running it through the transformer. We have a double power point in the center console and use it for our iPod and laptop. The 12V microwave from Samsung is great too for those not wanting an inverter in their BT - cost about $800.

Jay
AnswerID: 565285

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Friday, Nov 12, 2004 at 02:38

Friday, Nov 12, 2004 at 02:38
jay
your 12 v micro wave sounds interesting
what specifically do you use it for ???
how much power does it use???
we have a 1000 w at home (240 v) which is great however on our boat we had a 240 v 800 w & the performance poor more like 50 % of the 1000w not 80 % as you would imagine
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 844086

Our Sponsors