Anthony----Wiring for Prodigy Brake Controller

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 07, 2004 at 18:44
ThreadID: 121570 Views:3827 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Here's one for Anthony, cos i know he loves all this technical stuff.
Does my prodigy Brake Controller have to be wired through the ignition switch. I have just taken delivery of our new tow vehicle, and the lights (two dots) on the brake controller are on all the time. After 15 minutes of no movement it "Goes to sleep" and the two dots disappear, but there is still power going to the control unit. We have not got our BT yet, delivery is not until May 05, so I have nothing to plug it into to see if it works OK, but I am puzzled why the power is going to the control unit all the time. I would have thought that the power should be cut when ignition switch is off. Is this dangerous ? Does it have to have power all the time, so that I do not have to reset it every time I turn the key off.?
Also I have noticed that the "Hot Wire" to the van has not been connected, I have checked it out with a Multimeter and get a zero reading. Is this standard practice NOT to connect this wire, as they did not do it on a previous car I had some years ago. I am going to take it back and get it wired correctly, so thought while they are at it, they can wire the brake controller correctly as well, if it is faulty. Your comments and opinions are very much appreciated, as is your technical knowledge. Could you comment please. Kind Regards, Keith & Joan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:02

Monday, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:02
As this is also posted in private forum, I will copy my reply from there into this post.

Keith,
The prodigy should NOT be wired through the ignition, this is so that the van brakes will operate when the brakes are applied whether the ignition is on or off.

If you push the boost button you will notice that it goes B1, B2, B3, C and then starts over again. When there is NO boost and it is only on C for connected properly, then there will only be 1 dot (.) showing. When any of the Boost settings are used then there will be 2 dots (. .) showing.

As for the hot wire, in my opinion you would be far better to forget about having this wire fitted as the terminal size limits the size of the wire that can be used. The small diameter wires that will fit into a 7 pin plug will result in too much voltage drop.
We really only want a hot wire to the caravan to assist with van battery charging when there is no sun, so you would be far better to have two (2) seperate cables (possitive and negative of the same size) of about 6mm diameter run to an Anderson plug fitted. The terminal of the Anderson plug will determine the size of the cable that will fit into it. The auto electrician that I used recommended that the cable be soldered into the terminal.

I have 5.5 to 6mm diameter cables (they just fit inside the terminal) on mine with a 50amp circuit breaker next to the battery connections on the vehicle and caravan and find that there is very little voltage drop, and the van batteries are kept in top condition even when there is no sun.

Just make sure that you specify to BTi the size of the cable that you use on your vehicle and the Anderson plug size, so that BTi can provide the same on the caravan end. Or you could do as I did and install the cables yourself. It is easy really.

Also make sure BTi know that you are using a Prodigy brake controller so that they do not fit a diode in the caravan brake away wiring that will prevent the brake controller operating correctly.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565293

Our Sponsors