washing machines

Submitted: Monday, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:06
ThreadID: 121572 Views:10078 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I know there has been some previous discussion on this but have just acquired Lemair 2.2kg washing machine. I think Angie had this model fitted in her BT and am interested in whether anyone else carries one on their travels. We worked out it can be used with 1kv Honda genny and linked to drawbar tap when in bush. Cost $290 and if you work out cost of public laundries (approx $4 a load) we figure it will have paid for itself in no time at all. Anyone else got similar and how have they found them. Also where is best place to carry, do you need to pack to avoid the shakes when on rough roads or are they pretty sturdy?
Prue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, Nov 08, 2004 at 17:08

Monday, Nov 08, 2004 at 17:08
G'day Prue,

Wow ! 1 a.m.!! Guess if you can't sleep you may as well get up and do something constructive on the BOG site!

Yes, we will be watching this thread with interest, as having realized that the washing bill on a three month trip could be about $100 (2 loads/week @ $4) you'd soon pay for a machine. We too had been looking at the Lemaire but wondered if the 2.2kg capacity was enough to do 2 QS sheets and two pillow cases as a load. Also, how much water does it use per load and do you recycle when doing consecutive loads?

As to it's durability to ride in the Bushtracker, we'll have to wait and see. Their bruchure says it weighs only 17.5kg, is portable for taking to holiday home/van, or move from one residence to another. We noted that Angie had theirs in a cupboard between the door and the back window. That's okay in the longer vans, but it wouldn't fit in an 18 ft van.

I have been considering a dust proof box on the A-frame, immediately behind the handbrake and the bottom level with the underside of the A-frame beams. This would make plumbing easier and it could be used in-situ. It would also enable easier recycling. Is the drain-cycle a pump out system or gravity drain? If a pump out, you could pump into a container which is placed on top of the box for eazy gravity transfer to next load?

With dimensions of 763h, 416w and 425d it's considerbly smaller than the next level washers with 4.5kg capacity and 850h, 540w and 540d @ $499 (top loader LG Fuzzy logic, or the 5.5 kg front loader, 850h, 595w and 525d @ $550.(Ariston AV61).

Looking forward to more reports,........... regards...............Rob & Liz

AnswerID: 565296

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:26

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:26
Hi Prue/Rob/Liz......we have one of the Lemairs. Our van is 18 foot and we were carrying it under the bed, where it fitted perfectly, as long as it was sitting directly on the floor. Since Copeton, we have put more stuff under the bed, so the Lemair had to shift to the shower cubicle where it travels quite happily as long as you place it on some of that non slip rubber matting. If left directly on the floor of the shower, it tends to mark it as it walks around. Because it's so light, it's really easy to pick upand shift if you have a potty stop anywhere and need to use the dunny. One thing you do have to get used to is the time it takes to do a lot of washing if you let it pile up. I am a bit impatient, and was spinning my wheels the first few times I washed with it,but once I realised that I am supposed to be relaxing and having fun whilst on my big trip around, I mellowed out a bit and went and did other things while the wash was doing. 60 ltr per wash is about the norm if you don't catch and recycle. The water is pumped out, although if you don't have the hose up high enough, the machine tends to syphon and that is a big pain in the bum until you learn to correctly position the hose the first time. There is a little notch in the side of the machine where you would think the hose would clip into for washing, but this is not high enough to stop syphoning happening. I hook the hose over a portable clothes airer positioned next to the machine to keep it up high, and also find it better to have the end of the hose inserted into a length of pvc pipe to direct the waste water to whereever, instead of it splashing down on the ground and all over the side of the machine. As far as washing 2 q/s sheets etc. you can do it, but one sheet at a time with a pillow slip otherwise you overload and the wash is not as thorough. I have used mine on the inverter too. It draws very little power, and I took all afternoon to wash with no problems. I would recommend this mighty little machine anytime. Bought mine from a small franchise in Brisbane for $290 if my memory serves me correctly, but beware, you can be looking at up to $495.00 from some rogues who run the larger camping shops and think they see a sucker coming! No I am NOT mentioning any names Dave!!
Hope this bit of chat helps. Regards from Jan O (Rockgoc)
FollowupID: 844088

Follow Up By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2004 at 04:21

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2004 at 04:21
Hi Helen,
Lucky you off again. We are stuck here until December but we are getting in lots of weekend practice!!!
You mention that you originally stored wm under bed. Did it stand upright? How difficult was it to get out? Where do you move it on an overnight stop when stored in shower?
Can you tell me the height/angle of the hose and that worked best to stop syphoning effect.
So far I am very impressed with the dear little thing and it certainly saves stopping in towns just to do the washing.
Prue
FollowupID: 844089

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:54

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:54
Hi Prue,

We had the foresight to have our BT designed to have the Lemair installed behind the shower.

To achieve this we deleted the washbasin (we think it is a silly size anyhow) and had BT track down a large locker door for access to the machine.

We had a tap and power point installed and the outlet hose connected to the BT drainage system.

The machine is anchored by two aluminium angles, pop-riveted to the machine and bolted to the floor.

There is a strap about midway to keep it stable in transit.

Inside, I made up two aluminium brackets that are connected to external straps, which are used to take the weight of the tub. This is a bit of a nuisance to use, but it works. An easier approach is to pack foam plastic inside to hold the tub stable, but unless you persevere with the design, this too can be a nuisance. You rely on the lid of the machine to locate it. How the tub suspension would be damaged if not secured is something I do not want to investigate.

We don't (excuse the royal plural), Pat does not use the machine from on-board water (she's only done this once) as an un-recovered water cycle uses some 30 litres. We propose to catch the water from various cycles and recycle it where appropriate if we are in a position where we have to use the on-board water.

The Lemair is fine if you keep up to date with the washing, but when it accumulates to having nothing left to wear, its time to use the big machine in the amenities block

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565297

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 at 16:37

Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 at 16:37
Hi

If you have the space, we and others with the Samsung twin tub are very happy with its capabilities. It rides on its side in our F250 and is very easy to store and use.

Jay
AnswerID: 565298

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 at 22:32

Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 at 22:32
For those wanting to do washing in the bush and worrying about the amount of tank water that you use to do so, have you considered the following.

Where the taps are on the hoses coming from your non-potable tanks and just before the pump, if you put another "T piece" in and run another hose with a tap in the line from there to somewhere on the A frame, you can then turn the water tanks off, and turn this new hose line on. On the A frame of our van the hose ends with a male click hose connection, and we simply put another short section of hose on that fitting and into a bucket to suck up water that we have collected from a clean flowing creek or out of a cattle trough supplied by a bore etc. This water might not be good enough water to drink, but it is certainly good enough to shower and wash clothes in, and you then still have your tank water un-contaminated by the creek water.

Works fine for us.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565299

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 02:28

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 02:28
All you Lemair Washers,

We have now made the purchase and am making an aluminium tread plate box for it to go on the A frame, just behind the Hand Brake assembly. The box is the same size as the cardboard one it came in and will be a lift-off box with rubber dust seal around the bottom and lockable pull-down marine hatch fasteners. The idea here is to retain the transport foam package base it came with. This base has a moulding to fit snuggly around the galvanized protection bracket on the motor. This will obviously hold the machines "guts" securely whilst travelling on rough roads. I'm also retaining the top foam protector for securing inside the top of the box, as well as the foam "bowl" holder from inside the machine.

Only problem with this set-up is that I will have to remove the base package to use the machine.Oh well, I suppose this will be my contribution to the washing, along with clothes line erection.

Can the outlet pump and hose be used to recycle water to the inlet with a suitable adapter for connecting the outlet hose to the inlet hose?

We'd appreciate any comments on this subject.

Cheers.............Rob and Liz.

AnswerID: 565300

Follow Up By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:45

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:45
Now that WAS a dumb question....how to you get the washing out when it keeps filling up with water???

Found another solution though:- a 100 litrel collapsible rubber water tank from which I can pump to fill the machine and have the drain outlet of the machine connected to the inlet of the tank for recycling. The new whizz-bang combined in-line and submersible pump can push 18 litres/min with 15 psi pressure, and can operate with up to 10m head. That's 3min 20sec to fill the washing machine and 51/2 mins to fill the tank from a creek or bore trough. It is an AMAZON 12v, 4.5amp pump, 150mm long and 40mm diameter, available from Boating Warehouse (and perhaps other) Marine suppliers...About $120.

Cheers............Rob
FollowupID: 844090

Our Sponsors