ulp

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 02:48
ThreadID: 121595 Views:4258 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
motley i see you have been doing a bit of touring where have you been & any problem with availability of fuel
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:22

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:22
Stephen & Deborah,

The longest trip we have done (and the one with the most remote sections) was from Melbourne to Darwin via Birdsville, western Qld etc, then across the Gulf and down through central Qld and central NSW.

On that trip I carried 3 jerry cans of ULP.

I did not have to resort to using them. Capacity on vehicle is 141 litres.

I suspect that the only situation where they might be needed is an extended drive in a remote area into a howling head wind! The headwind really takes its toll on consumption.

These days, just to ease the strain of wondering whether we'll run out of fuel, I tend to combine a daily rest break with a fuel top up.

In extensive travels both with and without the van, I think the only run that causes fuel problems is the Canning. I would still carry jerry cans for an emergency, but these days, the likelihood that you'll need it is pretty remote.

Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 565367

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:41

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:41
In 1999 we drove from Ayers Rock to Warburton on the Great Central Road and then up onto the Gunbarrel Highway. At Warburton ULP was not available, only Av Gas, which they told us that people use in ULP vehicles.

I don't know what the difference is between them, but at that time because the aboriginal community there was having problems with youths sniffing ULP fumes, they stopped selling it. Things mat have changed now.

This is the only place that I have seen where UPL has not been available.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 565368

Follow Up By: BushtrackerDevs - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:18

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:18
Brian and Margaret - What does Avgas do to your car if you run on it? Destry the ctalytic converter?

Rob
FollowupID: 844106

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 17:05

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2004 at 17:05
a a tank of avgas would do no harm
FollowupID: 844107

Our Sponsors