Hydraulic Winches

Submitted: Friday, Nov 19, 2004 at 23:27
ThreadID: 121605 Views:5263 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have had a number of Warn electric winches on our 4WD's and found them to be very good, but when we bought the F250 we decided to try a TJM 10,000 lb OX winch.
In testing it appeared to operate well but much slower than the electrics that we had been used to, but on 2 ocassions while in WA I tried to winch vehicles off the beach that had become stuck with rising tides. The hydraulic winch just didn't seem to have the power that the smaller electric ones had and I couldn't pull the vehicles out of their bog. While hooked onto the 2nd one earlier this year I realised that even though I had it through a snatch block that the winch wasn't strong enough to pull my F250 towards the badly bogged Patrol, so it couldn't have been putting out much power.

On our return home we went back to TJM who gave us a reasonable trade in price for the hydraulic winch and we now have an OX 15,000 lb electric winch fitted. The OX appears to be slightly slower than the WARN winches that we have had previously but is much faster than the hydraulic winch was.

After TJM changed them over, they informed me that the poor performance was probably caused through a pressure relief valve in the power steering pump operating, preventing the winch getting up to full torque.
So if anyone is considering fitting a hydraulic winch go into all the pros and cons first and see if you can have the maximum strength of it tested before you really need it to work in a recovery situation.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:33

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:33
Hi Brian and Margaret,
We have the hydraulic winch fitted to our 100 series LC and it works a dream. We had ours fitted originally by TJM only to discover they had fitted it back the front!! And yes it does make a difference. We then went to ARB and they re fitted it properly and gave us the run down that TJM had neglected to do on purchase and fit. It is slower than the electric winch but as I pointed out in a recent post, when your car goes into VERY DEEP water an electric winch just don't work whereas the hydraulic did and beautifully thank goodness.
Prue
AnswerID: 565383

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:45

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:45
Thanks Prue, I will never know now if mine was connected up the wrong way the same as yours was. Whatever the problem was with it, it really was a waste of time having it on the vehicle, it had so little power.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844112

Follow Up By:- Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:31

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:31
"fitted it back the front" that is an absolute disgrace, just to make a point if an electric winch is sealed properly,,(which they are not when u buy them)then they will work under water, P>S try to keep out of deep water engines cost
FollowupID: 844113

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 17:55

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 17:55
Winches.

Has anyone heard of the performance/value of the Brawn Portable Electric winches.(4300 or 4545 kg)

I am impressed with the idea of being able to operate in multiple directions/locations. Like, you can set it up next to a tree or to another vehicle and run the cable to the bogged vehicle. Often the best way out of a bog is to go back the way you went in, and it would definitely have advantages then. Plus, it would prove its worth if you had to pull van out separatley to the tow vehicle.

Another winch option I've been considering is a 240v winch which you could use with Generator. Any thoughts on that option?

Regards,

Rob & Liz
AnswerID: 565384

Our Sponsors