Generators

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:16
ThreadID: 121606 Views:20256 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with the Honda generators, namely the models EU10i or EU20I. I take it that these generators can be plugged into the van as you would normally when at a caravan park? I understand that they have limitations in running some equipment e.g. aircons... Are they value for money? reliable? well supported for service and parts etc.? I am thinking that apart from using it with the BT, living in Adelaide power blackouts in summer are always a possibility. Instead of using torches etc might be able to run a lead into the house and run some lights or even a small television.

Roy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:35

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:35
Have been using a Honda EU20i for over a year now. Despite all advice to the contrary, the Honda WILL run the Dometic Air Conditioner on the Bushtracker. You can't run a toaster and electric kettle at the same thime as the air conditioner, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

The Honda is also extremely quiet.

So far, no problems, utterly reliable, very quiet and Stows under the bed.

No hesitation in recommending an EU20i

For a fair price, check out The Honda Shop
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565385

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:37

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:37
Hi Roy,
Exactly the thing we get a lot of in the Territory - blackouts I mean. Our Honda gennie works well and we have had her for a couple of years now, used on the boat when we went island camping and now primarily for the BT. Wouldn't run ac but just about everything else. Never had any probs with parts or service.
Prue
AnswerID: 565386

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:50

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:50
We have had no problems with our EU20i that we have had for a year now, and it will operate the BTi battery charger that the cheaper modified sine wave generators will not.

I was recently given this web site to look at { http://www.grahams.com.au/ } and they have a generator that looks very similar to the Honda for a much cheaper price. They may be worth looking at.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 565387

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 17:38

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 17:38
G'day Roy,

We can only reinforce what others are saying. EU20 is a great unit that has no problems running the Air Con. Haven't had much experience running other appliances at the same time. I think I can recall Anthony saying that it's best not to run your charger at the same time though. In cold weather, if you don't have a Webasto heater, it runs a 240 v fan heater ($50 jobbie) with ease. One of the best uses we have discovered is for using an electric chainsaw. I now leave the Stihl at home (other campers don't like the noise and it attracts Mr. Ranger from miles away).

Don't recall if you were at Copeton, but I had it working there amongst the roar of petrol chainsaws. The EU20 is mounted on an Engel slider in the back of the LC100 and I've built an acoustic box for further reduction of noise. It has about 60mm air space around the Geni and has an exhaust extractor (about $50 from a marine shop) mounted at the exhaust outlet of the Honda. A flexible exhaust hose dangles through the side window and when the vehicle is all closed up, all you can hear from 5m away is the hiss of the exhaust. Additional vents in the box allow air flow around the geni and I have measured temperature of up to 50 deg. inside the box with whilst running van air con. This is okay but should'nt have ambient temp greater than 50 deg.

Noticed in the latest "Caravan World" Honda have brought out an EM50is (5kva for $4995) and EM70is (7kva for $5899) if you are thinking BIG.

Cheers,............Rob & Liz
AnswerID: 565388

Follow Up By:- Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:40

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:40
Hi rob and Liz what brand of acoustic material did u use,some is very expensive also a motorbike muffler is handy to quieten things
FollowupID: 844114

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 21:47

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 21:47
Pete,

It doesn't have a brand name on it . It's about 20mm thick, al foil on one side and peel off adhesive surface on the other. Cost me about $5 at the local tip shop.

Cheers..Rob
AnswerID: 565389

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 21:02

Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 21:02
G'Day Roy, I have just checked out "Grahams" (see previous reply) and their price for a genuine Honda EU20i Genny is $1995.00 Thats a pretty good price by anyone's standard. Keith & Joan.
AnswerID: 565390

Reply By: Whatsnew01 - Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 04:09

Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 04:09
Thanks for your replies everyone,
To Keith and Joan, yes checked Grahams website out and certainly looks good. Also noted that Yamaha have a inverter model EF2800is that has a higher output for around the same price. Don't know if Yamaha are of same quality as Honda though.
To Rob & Liz, I noted that you mentioned that Anthony indicated that you should turn off your charger when using a generator in your van. Do you know why and how do you turn off the charger. I have never turned off the charger even when I plug into 240 power at a caravan park. I assume that the charger would work ok whether charging off solar or 240volt at the same time.

Roy
AnswerID: 565391

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 08:15

Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 08:15
Your battery charger has a normal 240volt power cord that plugs into a power point somewhere near it.

IF YOU EVER HAVE ANY WELDING DONE ON THE VAN, MAKE SURE THAT YOU PULL THE PLUG BEFORE HAND OR YOU WILL BE UP FOR A NEW CHARGER.

We often run our battery charger of the generator, at the same time as running other appliances, including the air conditioner and have not had any problems. The battery chargers are power sensitive and MUST have good clean sine wave power or they will throw out on its in built safety.

FollowupID: 844115

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 16:23

Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 16:23
Sorry Roy,

It meant it to read that "I seem to recall Anthony saying that it's not good to have the charger on, at the same time you are running the Air Con off the generator." To turn charger off, switch it off at the power point. I think it is best to turn it off when you are exclusively using solar. The sun is charging the batteries, and, if the charger is on, it is using power supplied by the batteries, through the inverter which is boosting 12v to 240v. Sort of defeating the purpose of the solar charging, if you know what I mean.

If your batteries are low, it is more effective to recharge them with the genni (now switch the charger back on).... than purely on solar.

Where's Anthony?? or Collyn Rivers for that matter, they seem to be able to explain these things a little better.

Cheers...............Rob
AnswerID: 565392

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Nov 24, 2004 at 03:08

Wednesday, Nov 24, 2004 at 03:08
Rob,
Our van, and I think all Bushtrackers are wired so that the power point that the battery charger is plugged into is powered from the Power supply inlet plug the side of the van only, be it from a generator or 240 mains power. The Inverter does not provide power to that power point, or to the air conditioner.

You could test yours by turning the inverter on when no external power is connected to van and see if there is power to the battery charger power point. In ours there is none.

FollowupID: 844116

Our Sponsors