Radio Reception

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 05:05
ThreadID: 121607 Views:9651 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I know this is completely off topic, but I figure that from past experience, there is a body of knowledge out there that can advise on almost anything!

We are building a new house in SW Victoria about 160km form Melbourne. Whilst I like my music piped from an iPOD, I still enjoy listening to AM Radio (ABC). We are on the fringe of reception. Does anyone have any suggestions re Antennas or other systems to optimise AM radio reception?

I've been told to find the best antenna I can, put the signal into a black box and then retransmit throughout the house on an FM frequency. Trouble is, I haven't got a clue what the best AM antenna looks like or where to source the "black box"

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:57

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:57
We have a splitter on our television antenna outlet (a Y piece adapter) ,one goes to TV and the other to the sterio unit. The radio had poor reception before this but now works perfectly. Not sure if this will solve your problem but if it doesn't work, at least it won't cost very much to find out.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565393

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 16:32

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 16:32
I agree that you want to get the best TV/AM/FM aerial that you can and then split it. An alterative to a Y-piece is to install a signal amplifier, usually in the roof, (about $150 I think) which has multiple outputs.

But the best solution for the future, given that you are building a new house, is to put co-ax outlets to heaps of rooms for flexibility and then install a Clipsal co-ax patch bay with built in signal amplifier which allows you to select which room outlets you want to send signal to. You can also use this to easily route DVD or VCR, cable TV or cable broadband signal thorughout the house.

See the Clipsal "Star Serve " range of products - www.clipsal.com.au

Phil

AnswerID: 565394

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 17:01

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 17:01
Hey Pete,

If all else fails, hook up BT and go to where there IS good reception!

Cheers, ......Rob
AnswerID: 565395

Reply By: Oldperc - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:21

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:21
Come on guys,
the best all round Australian made aerial is the old coat hanger!!!!
You can even shape it in the form of Australia and works well on the car as well.
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565396

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:25

Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 at 20:25
Hi Motley Go to the abc web site www.abc.net.au there u will see a bit which deals with the frequency which is applicable to your area. 160km is not far out so is probably a relay from Melb,or from Ballarat where a new transmitter/studio has recently been located,u should not have difficulty getting good reception,i would hate to miss 774. there is also a publication from the abc which shows the frequencies all over australia in which case when in remote areas the strength of the radio is of prime importance,at any rate i think the above is how to solve yr problem

AnswerID: 565397

Reply By: Laurieph - Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 06:20

Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 06:20
How is the reception from your L/Cruiser when parked along side the house? If OK then a car aerial mounted on the house roof and the lead in to the radio in co-ax should work fine. If however the vehicle reception is weak at ground level, then the house aerial will pick up more signal the higher it is and be mindful to keep it as far away from any source of electrical interference as possible. By using screened lead or co-ax for the lead in then you will prevent any electrical interference that is generated in the house from motors, thermostats etc.. reaching the radio via this lead.
Do you still access to the house frame for additional wiring? if so you may get some ideas from the article "Home Technology Demonstration Project" and other articles in the Projects section of http://www.hometoys.com/htinews.htm
AnswerID: 565398

Our Sponsors