Exhaust Jacks

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 20:24
ThreadID: 121612 Views:10116 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We were very impressed by a demonstration of an exhaust jack during our recent 4x4 driving course. So much so we have now purchased one. The thought of being able to change a rear tyre on the Landcruiser whilst the BT is still hitched really appealed. (Had to do it with a Holden & Windsor combination, required unhitching, a real pain as I was travelling solo)
However when we tried the exhaust jack, it failed. (Our little Honda Civic had no troubles inflating it though.)
The reason the T/D Landcruiser could not operate the jack is because the tail pipe is cut away at an angle, to direct the exhaust gases to the ground. The exhaust jack requires an exhaust pipe with a straight end to fit the 'cone'.
Toyota do not make an accessory that will do the job.
Short of just using a hacksaw (which would leave the exhaust finishing under the vehicle, rather than at the rear of it), are there any suggestions or solutions out there? (We have rejected the idea of modifying the Civic to tow the BT !!!)
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 21:07

Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 21:07
An exhaust system repairer should be able to supply something like the chrome pipe extensions that we used to put on our hot machines back in the 70's, that would give you a flat end on the pipe.

I was able to jack up our Landcruiser with the air bag, but when we changed to the F250 with the larger diameter exhaust pipe the cone wasn't big enough to fit over the pipe so we couldn't use it any more. That was nearly 3 years ago so they may now have a bigger cone, you have reminded me to go and make some enquiries. (Or maybe there are some other F250 owners who have solved how to fit an airbag cone to F250 exhaust)
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565414

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 21:09

Sunday, Nov 21, 2004 at 21:09
Take it to an exhaust shop and get them to weld an extension on to existing tail pipe. Then just fit your cone to that. wouldn't cost a heap to do. What is the name of your jack, and do they have a web site. Maybe we would like to purchase one as well, depending on the price. Keith & Joan.

C'mon Anthony, where are you !!!!! We need your expert advice, and sense of humour. Keith.
AnswerID: 565415

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Monday, Nov 22, 2004 at 01:50

Monday, Nov 22, 2004 at 01:50
Hi,
Thanks for that info, will be at an exhaust shop tomorrow then.
We purchased the "Mean Green 4 tonne Bullbag" because it appeared to be a stronger construction than the 4 Tonne "Bushranger" that was available from Super Cheap & AutObarn for $235.
Mean Green is an Opposite Lock brand and is $260. We got it for $235 because of the amount we had spent there on other mods to the Cruiser.
The Mean Green has a 60cm lift, and a diameter close to that, (58cm uninflated).
The Bushranger has a 75cm lift, but is quite a bit narrower and did not seem as heavy a vinal. I liked the idea of spreading the load further.
Brian, the cone on the Mean Green is 100mm wide, would that fit the F250 exhaust?
Cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 565416

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Nov 22, 2004 at 03:18

Monday, Nov 22, 2004 at 03:18
Thanks Ian,
Just measured our cone at 65mm and the F250 exhaust pipe is 90mm so the "Mean Green" cone at 100mm will be suitable. I will go into our local Opposite lock store and see if I can just get the cone section.

FollowupID: 844119

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Nov 22, 2004 at 03:55

Monday, Nov 22, 2004 at 03:55
We had no trouble fitting one on our Landcruiser ute - perhaps the design has changed since 1976, or utes may be different to wagons. Perhaps you could look at a different shaped on from an older model at a wreckers and see if it will fit. We used one to make a tipping tray add-on for carting grain. It seems a whole lot safer supporting the vehicle than a conventional jack which can be difficult to use safely if you are on sloping ground. Hope you get a good result from the suggestions you have been given. Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 565417

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:34

Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:34
I have the large Bushranger exhaust jack bag, and TD Landcruiser - yes, you need to get a chrome extension welded onto the exhaust system, should cost about $50.

Second, do a practice run of jacking the BT - it is not that easy, and I found that the air jack tends to roll under the weight and height of the lift. (Certainly it wold be too dangerous to rely on the bag alone given this rolling tendency).I have opted to use thev air jack to get the primary lift, but then use the standard TD jack on some blocks for final height and security. I had to change a wheel on the BT, and using the air jack only is a bit dicey.

But my main recommendation is to be sure to do a practice, well before you actually have a need to use the air jack for a repair situation,

Phil
AnswerID: 565418

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 08:10

Tuesday, Nov 23, 2004 at 08:10
Phil,
I have had to change 3 flat tyres on the van (in 85,000km) and each time we have used the vehicle jack under the spring end nearest the flat tyre. That way you don't have to lift it very much at all to change the wheel. I have seem some people jack the 2 wheels off the ground using the centre pinof the spring and you have to lift a lot higher that way.

Anyone thinking of jacking the van up using the chassis rail is in for a shock when they see how high it has to be lifted to be able to change a wheel. I think the air bag jack would have a very limited application on our caravans with independent suspension.

FollowupID: 844120

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Nov 26, 2004 at 03:14

Friday, Nov 26, 2004 at 03:14
Hey Ian et al,

I had just acquired an Opposite Lock 4 Tonne airbag for $180 (new, but from someone who bought it and changed vehicles from 4wd to 2wd). Then my local exhaust pipe man gave me a piece of 50mm exhaust pipe, 270mm long and shoved it up inside the LC100 champfered tail pipe. We then attached the 100mm cone to the end of that. WORKS LIKE A CHARM, but , you have to remember to take the 50mm adapter out (with gloves as it is probably hot) before you drive off.

Another victory for the KISS principle !!!

Cheers.........Rob
AnswerID: 565419

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Friday, Nov 26, 2004 at 19:51

Friday, Nov 26, 2004 at 19:51
Thanks all for the advice.
Like the Kiss solution Rob, but for $25 we have had the pipe from muffler to rear bumper area replaced with a straight ended piece of pipe. (about 300mm of material).
At least I wont have to burn the fingers.
Thanks again all.
Cheers,
Ian and Robin

PS: we have changed our name back to Taj_Mah_Tracker, from Noosa Noamds
AnswerID: 565420

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 02, 2004 at 21:57

Thursday, Dec 02, 2004 at 21:57
If Rod Betts is looking at these posts he may be able to arrive at a solution for F250s now that he owns a TMJ MegaStore in Hobart.
Rod, any ideas for an exhaust jack with our F250s?

Jay
AnswerID: 565421

Reply By: Cracker - Thursday, Dec 23, 2004 at 20:44

Thursday, Dec 23, 2004 at 20:44
Hey call me stupid - but what's stopping you from cutting the end of the pipe off. I did the practice run with our bushranger jack and like you found that the cone leaked due to the 45 degree end........SO I cut it off .

Cracker
AnswerID: 565422

Reply By: Cobradave - Friday, Dec 24, 2004 at 03:33

Friday, Dec 24, 2004 at 03:33
I used the Bushranger 4 ton bag for several years on my very heavily laden Nissan Patrol when out in the bush in difficult situations. It worked wonderfully off the standard exhaust tail pipe.
I have lifted the TD LC with it too on the standard tail pipe but I lift the BT with a 4 ton bottle jack under the centre spring bolt in 2 stages using a jack stand under the chassis.
AnswerID: 565423

Our Sponsors