Freecamps - Bushcamps

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 17:15
ThreadID: 121633 Views:4186 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Don't know if this link has been raised in previous site but I reckon all Boggers could benefit from it. In...caravannersforum@groups.msn.com...go to......
DOCUMENTS FOLDER and click on ....bushcamps.xls. It is a list of about 1750 campsites throughout Oz. It's a bit hard to use in its present Alphabetical by Town so if you want to make it easier to use by STATE and then A-Z towns here's how....in FILE DOWNLOAD save in MY DOCUMENTS and then...SAVE
Close caravannersforum and go to your saved version.
Highlight cell A1 under "MAP" ...on toolbar click on INSERT then COLUMNS, next
Highlight cell B1 under "MAP"....on toolbar click on INSERT then COLUMNS, now
Highlight whole of column G (STATE) by clicking on G in top cell
on toolbar, go to EDIT ...COPY then click on cell A1 and EDIT ....PASTE
Highlight whole of column F (TOWN)..EDIT..COPY..click on cell B1..EDIT..PASTE
Now highlight column F (TOWN)...EDIT...DELETE
and Highlight column F (STATE)...EDIT...DELETE
Highlight cell C2 ("76")...toolbar...WINDOWS and click on FREEZE PANES
NOW YOU CAN SCROLL DOWN OR ACROSS WITHOUT LOSING HEADINGS
Highlight whole of column A ..then on toolbay click on A-Z ...select "Expand the selection" then SORT

Now, apart from the first 8 rows (Don't know why??) you have an alphanetical list by STATE and TOWN in alphabetical order..

Good luck and I hope you find some great bushcamps

Rob and Liz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 17:50

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 17:50
Hi Rob & liz, I saw this a couple of days ago, and I printed the whole lot and put it in a folder. However, I copied the "COSTS" column from the last page onto the "GPS" column of the first page, because I thought this was very useful info to have. That way I did not have to print the third page at all. So what I have now is side one of page is A to G with the costs in "C" instead of the GPS positions. Then I have printed on the reverse side of same page, columns H to P. Now I can see all the details of each place on the two sides of the same sheet, and I have not had to print a third page.
By the way, I think this came from Angie..... So THANKS Angie, good stuff !!! and THANKS Rob & Liz for the updated version. Regards, Keith & Joan.
AnswerID: 565489

Follow Up By: Keith & Joan - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 18:28

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 18:28
Back again, Rob & Liz. Great instructions, but the last step did not work for me. I am using Windows XP (Home) and when I highlight column "A" and then click on "A to Z" I do not get "Expand the selection or Sort". As soon as I click on "A to Z" the whole of column "A' arranges in alphabetical order, BUT the other columns do not follow suit. So I end up with Adelaide River in N.S.W. when we all know it is in the N.T. So..... How do I get ALL the columns to follow column "A". Regards Keith & Joan.
FollowupID: 844137

Follow Up By: Cracker - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:27

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:27
Ahhh I'm having trouble finding this xls doc - I'm hoping to get this and add further GPS locations to it ( I hate paying for van parks esp with a "self sufficent van" ).

Can someone give another www. for it's location - sounds exactlyu what I'm after.

Cracker
FollowupID: 844138

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 21:00

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 21:00
Hi everyone, yes guilty as charged and I am working on an updated version so stay tuned and I will let you know when it is available and will post it here as a document or something.

To get the lines to all follow each other properly then open the document, click on the A1 cell as Rob said and then click a cell under one of the titles. Then the A-Z sort button and they should all follow.

Rob make sure that your document is right at the top, it could have scrolled down a little and then it would probably miss out the top lines.

Angie
AnswerID: 565490

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004 at 01:17

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004 at 01:17
Kieth,
Did you try what Angie suggested?
My instructions should have read...highlight column A (by clicking on the "A" in the top cell....then go to toolbar and click on A-Z and then SORT.
That should do it !.

Angie, yes I did have the chart right to the top and still can't see why this happened.

Any thoughts on how we can have the chart on this site, and how can we go about adding to it and keeping it up to date.

I'm looking at putting it into a data base format, such as Microsoft Office ACCESS.
This way members could fill out a form for a camp, post it to the site, or to a Committee member who has ACCESS, and the chart could immediately be added to or changed.A form could look like this;-

STATE...................
NEAREST TOWN..............................DIRECTION (from)...... DISTANCE......
TURN 1..L/R......DISTANCE..........TURN 2.L/R.....DISTANCE.......
TURN 3..L/R.....DISTANCE..........TURN 4..L/R......DISTANCE......
CAMP NAME.....................WORST ROAD CONDITION...................................
MAP............REF..............GPS...........PERMIT....Y / N PHONE.......................
CAMP TYPE.........................TOILETS.........WATER.......POWER............
FIREPLACE.....................WOOD............SHADE..........SUN.........

Whatya Reckon?

Rob
AnswerID: 565491

Follow Up By: Keith & Joan - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004 at 18:38

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004 at 18:38
Hi Rob, Liz, and Angie, yes I did try to follow the other instructions, but to no avail. However I did manage to complete the task by following Robs instructions except for the last one, then highlighting the whole document, and then go to "A to Z" and it all fell into place.
I clicked on the cell immediately above "1" and to the left of cell "A", which is blank, and this highlighted the whole document. Then when you go to A to Z in the tool bar, Vwaallaah !! Magic happens.
I now have my list in alphabetical order, and also state order. Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Angie, we look forward to the new edition, and well done. Joan & I met you on the day you picked up your van at BTI. You very kindly let us take a peek inside, and told us about the BOG site. Thanks again, Keith & Joan.
FollowupID: 844139

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:40

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:40
Thanks - i didn't know it was there. BOGGERS can free camp by arrangement on our farms if they want to, if coming to SW WA. No fires in spring-summer-autumn. Fee will be to tell us about your travels!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565492

Our Sponsors