Space Savers on KISS Principle

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 19, 2004 at 02:26
ThreadID: 121662 Views:4429 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

I have posted some photos in My Photo Album, showing some space saving ideas I have built into our BT. If anyone is interested in more details, you are welcome to email me.

Hope you all have a great feastive season and, happy and safe travels in 2005!!

Rob and Liz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:07

Sunday, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:07
Hi Rob, bit of time on your hands at the moment? LOL.

We had the foot lockers extended to the end of the bed and mine is raised about 50mm to compensate for me being a shorty. Lots of lovely space when you extend them. The other ideas look great and of course keeping the weight up the front end of the van.

Thanks for sharing the ideas.

Angie
AnswerID: 565547

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:30

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:30
good ideas thanks
with such a short ladder how do you clean your solar panels
service the roof of your van when on the road ???
seasons greetings
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565548

Follow Up By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 at 16:31

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 at 16:31
Stephen & Deborah,

I have two ways of getting onto the roof for the occasional clean-up. The easiest is parking the landcruiser close enough to step across, and the other is to take the 2.4m ladder off the roof rack. This ladder is secured to the roof rack as my KISS boat loader. 3/4 gal water pipe slides through the last hollow rung. Two 25mm PVC pipes slide over the gal pipe to act as rollers, and the 3.1 tinnie is winched from a trailer hand winch on bull bar by Liz,( with one hand) whilst I guide it up from the back.......simple!

Cheers.............Rob & Liz
FollowupID: 844163

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2004 at 19:24

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2004 at 19:24
Hello Friends,
Steven Gibbs here, Bushtracker

There is some thought out there, that people somehow need to clean their solar panels.... We do not share that concern.... Our studies have shown otherwise, and dusty panels on a bad track? Seems only to be about a 5% loss at most. And the next rain washes them off again... I would hate to see someone getting hurt thinking they needed to keep the solar panels clean... For the most part the bulldust blows on, the bulldust blows off, and the rain keeps them in the 99% range of output...

On the worst case senario, morning dew if you leave early, catches the bull dust in little mud drops... I have even done that with my shower as I travel with the shower window open and have forgotten on a bulldust track and found red drops everywhere in the shower... But a quick hose down with the shower handle and it comes amazingly clean quickly and easily... This is about the only cleaning that we would do, and that is with a hose shot up in the air to rain down on the panels for just a bit. They come amazingly clean in just a couple of minutes, in the 99% range again...

I just don't think it is worth the risk of a fall... We ran into the same concept years ago. To protect the panels on the yachts years ago (I was one of the pioneer types to do this on yachts for major power supply with Arco panels in about 1980) we even played around with hinged covers in 3/8 inch acrylic covers with a 5% loss. With the air gap under, and teak blocks around to get an air gap over with cooling, they would build up with salt and dust from winds off shore, and surprisingly there was very little power loss. Tracy does not clean his, I do not clean mine. So be careful, and personally I do not think it is worth the risk, for so little of a return...

Your Friend at Bushtracker, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844164

Our Sponsors