humm in prostar

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 30, 2004 at 22:08
ThreadID: 121678 Views:4566 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Our first posting.... our 8 month old Prostar 30 seems to have develped a high pitched humm-buzz. It is not too loud but it is interfering with the DVD player mounted near it and makes watching DVDs impossible. I have not noticed the Prostar making any noise before.

The TV is not affected, nor is the radio, just the DVD

Not sure what is causing? Maybe loose wires??

Any suggestions most appreciated

thanks
pamela and alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Dec 31, 2004 at 21:03

Friday, Dec 31, 2004 at 21:03
Hello Pamela and Alan,
My first reply is call Bushtracker... Ha! There are about 241 Members here, but Bushtracker is going on 1000, a little broader base... And we have more Prostars sitting on the shelf that the Boggers do... End of Humour....

Maybe Peter will have heard of this before. He is back on January 10th. If it is a new problem, would probably suggest that we just change it out on Warranty, end of problem... You might take a long skinney screwdriver and tighten the electrical connections on the bottom of it... Or it could be some reaction to something added in the electrical system. Sounds like an electronic relay short cycling... If, and I say IF, you did not add anything or modify anything, and it started on it's own, I would change it out....

Cheers, your fellow Bogger, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565569

Reply By: Pamela-Alan - Friday, Dec 31, 2004 at 21:13

Friday, Dec 31, 2004 at 21:13
thanks steve,
I thought you were on holidays!! We are in Hervey Bay until late Jan so we will stop in to the factory on the way south.

Nothing electrical added at all. & nothing changed.

pamela
AnswerID: 565570

Reply By: Motley - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 02:10

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 02:10
Pamela-Alan

I think had the same problem. Got the ProStar replaced under warranty - same thing! In our case the problem was to do with when the Pro Star goes into "float charge" mode. Evidently there's some electronic switching which happens at a very high frequecy which generates the electrical "noise" The ProStar manual does refer to this and actually tells you which wire to cut to eliminate the problem! However it also eliminates ffoat charge mode!

While we were at Copeton, I talked to Brian from Sound in Motion and he said they had been successful in eliminating the problem by fitting a noise suppressor on the power circuit to the AV gear. Daniel did this for us while we were there and the problem is gone.

You can test that you have the same problem (I think). When the buzzing starts, load up the circuits by switching on all the lights, operating the pumps etc. This will cause the Pro Star to go into charge mode and out of float mode. If you have the same problem as us, the buzzing will stop. I'm sure that there are experts who can add the scientific bits to this. It's all a bit of a "black art" to me.

Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565571

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 03:00

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 03:00
Pam - Alan, we too had the same thing happen to us. We were actually staying with Motley and Jan and he was able to advise us to get a supressor. Easy fitted this little thingie into the right area and the noise stopped for awhile, before it came back, but nowhere near as bad, so we put up with it.You can only just hear it if you are listening for it, is what I mean. We got the supressor from Dick Smiths.
Hope this helps, cheers and Happy New Year.
Jan O
FollowupID: 844172

Reply By: Pamela-Alan - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 05:24

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 05:24
thanks for that guys

you could be right. when it happened we were not in the van much as we were staying at a friends but since we have been back living in the van - the noise has stopped. I will monitor it for a while.

We do have a noise suppressor that SIM fitted on our install as it was in late March 04 - I think they put them in all of them now.

It was very bad when watching a dvd - affected both audio and video. A loud buzz and lots of lines and interference.

thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated - and it is why I posted the query in the first place!!

pamela
AnswerID: 565572

Follow Up By: Pamela-Alan - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:01
I did also email Morningstar - here is their reply

Dear Pamela/Alan,

The buzz is most likely the PWM regulation and is the normal method of
limiting current when the battery is full. I suspect that you will only hear
the buzz during the day hours when the battery is fully charged. If you
disconnect the PV+ line, the buzz should stop. If so desired, you can cut a jumper on the circuit board which will allow the ProStar to switch much slower and should eliminate the buzz. This method of regulation is less efficient, but solves the noise problem. The jumper is labeled "J1", and is located on the upper edge of the circuit board. It looks like a resistor.
Cut the jumper and restart the unit. You can reconnect the jumper to resume PWM regulation.

Regards,

Bill Mellema
MS Engineering Dept.

I don't think we will be cutting any jumpers!!
pamela
FollowupID: 844173

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:36
Hello All,
This rarity and other minor problems were why we spent a year and a half to develop the new Solar Regulator with all the same good features and more... Also the new one goes to 40 amps... So far, so good..

Cheers, Bushtracker
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565573

Our Sponsors