Retrofitting Vcle.Comps. Conical Ball Coupling

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:13
ThreadID: 121729 Views:4498 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have been told that a few BT owners have retrofitted the VC Conical ball Coupling themselves. Are there any issues is it simply a matter of enlarging the AT35 bolt holes? Does anyone have the unit fitted on the underside of the BT draw bar?

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:05

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:05
Andy,
I had VC fit mine on our way to the Copeton Rally. It took their employee 1 to 1.5 hours to do it.

The cone end is pretty straight forward, just one bolt though the same hole with another locating bolt to stop it turning.

The Pintel ring coupling has a mounting plate 250 x 90 and has holes approx 185 and 55 apart to take the 4 bolts that are about 15mm Dia. These bolt holes do not line up with the AT35 coupling at all, so 4 new holes have to be drilled.

The only limiting factor to putting it underneath would be if there was not enough room underneath for the 90mm wide plate to fit between the A frame. By mounting it underneath all you gain is the thickness of the plate that you are mounting it to so there is very little advantage anyway.

The problem that most people will have is having a large drill large and powerful enough to drill the 15mm (approx) holes in the mounting plate. It is a straight forward job if you have the equipment. I haven't so VC did mine.

Conrad pointed out that the bolt that secures everything together doesn't appear to have sufficient thread when everything is connected so I purchased another bolt about 15mm longer and that makes me feel a lot happier knowing that there is now at least 20mm of bolt into the threaded base of the cone section.

For ease of coupling up I also have a bolt about 250mm long that I screw into the Cone if I haven't lined the ring and cone up 100% and the cone has been push sideways as the ring was lowered. It is simply a case of screw this bolt in to give a little leaverage to return the cone to a central possition in the ring, and then remove bolt and secure the top section of the cone with the securing bolt.

VC also give BOG members a discount, so don't forget to enquire about that.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565689

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 05:36

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 05:36
Brian, where did you obtain the 15mm longer bolt? Does it have the same head as the original bolt that came with the cone?

Luvntravln
FollowupID: 844231

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:04

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:04
Jay,
The large nut has a smaller bolt about 15mm dia threaded through it with some locktite or similar on it to hold them in place. I just unscrewed the small bolt out of that large nut and went around to our local Bolt supplier and replaced it with a slightly longer Hi Tensile bolt. I also bought the long bolt for adjusting the cone there, but that one is only mild steel. I think that you will require a vice to get the bolt out of that large nut that VC supply.
If you take the present bolt into any bolt supply place they should be able to match the thread for you,
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844232

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:50

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:50
Just back from our first venture out with the BT. Our hitching setup is aweful (i think the original has had a few modifications in its life), so uncoupling and recoupling on the road is not really an option. We had the good fortune to meet up with FTroopCafe on the road, and Graham told us about the conical hitch. I looked it up on the VC website this morning. Looks very simple. Our present hitch has anti-sway bars, and the previous owner felt they were very important. The conical does not seem to allow for these. Would love feedback from anyone else who is using the conical, and how they fitted it. Can you send us pictures of yours? Thanks.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 565690

Follow Up By: Turist - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 04:57

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 04:57
Check my photo album.
There are some pics there that should answer your questions.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 844233

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:12

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:12
Thanks Bob - that was quick! We have looked at the pictures on the VC site, and the Conical they show appears to fit to have the 360 degree swivel, and yours appears to be rigid?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844234

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:18

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:18
Not quite sure what you mean by the 360 degree swivel.
The cone coupling in the pic rotates around a horizontal plane a full 360.

The cone also tilts across the vertical, I think around 28 degrees, a bit more than a stendards ball.

Rob Buchanan at VC could give you the figures.

Regards
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 565691

Follow Up By: Bob Bushwacker - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 18:07

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 18:07
Bob
The photo's in your album show an earlier retrofit of the non swivel pintle ring. Better get the kodak out.

Regards
Bob
Roughing it in style

FollowupID: 844235

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 00:29

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 00:29
Motherhen Bob is correct.
That was my first fit up.
I have since changed to a swivelling pintle ring.
Still, the photos should give you an idea.

If you are not in a rush we expect to be in your town around April/May and you can look for yourself.
If you'r home that is.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844236

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:46

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:46
OK, two more photos in the album, this time showing the swivelling pintel ring.

The small pics do not show much detail, if you want larger resolution let me know and I'll e-mail them.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844237

Our Sponsors