The Problem with that VC Conical Coupling....

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:01
ThreadID: 121730 Views:4015 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Yes, I have had this hitch for one of the longest of any Bushtracker, but know that there is a distinct disadvantage before you all run off and retrofit this coupling...

Steven Gibbs here, Bushtracker....
Look, I like it, but it is really only an advantage for the larger vans that can go over the limit of the Off-Road coupling.... Yes, it is a little easier to hook up... But there is nothing wrong with hooking up the Off-Road Coupling if you take the time to learn the tricks of how to unload the pressure on the off-road coupling first.. And rock it when on an angle with the power jockey wheel to relieve the pressure on the pin.. The problem is that you really should not use this coupling unless you are going over the limit on the normal Off-Road coupling, as it is severely restricted in Off-Road use... It will only rotate front and back and side to side 22 Degrees.... That is serious, and if you have a smaller van that does not need the high capacity, to go to this coupling is self defeating. You might as well go to a normal ball hitch if you are going to do this.... A normal ball hitch is even easier to hook up, but again is self-defeating as it only rotates 22 Degrees the same...

Now if any of you think that is plenty, wow! A 22 Degree slope is almost too steep for the tow vehicle to climb! Think again, and cut that degree in two.. When you come up out of a creek or river bank and the vehicle crests the top and the Bushtracker is still coming up the bank, you only have 11 degrees on each before that hitch binds up!!!! It is no better than a normal on road ball hitch. I strongly advise not to use it, just because it is easier to hook up... And if that is your reasoning, a standard ball is even easier, but you are hurting yourself even more by doing this. It is only justified on the really big vans that can go over the limit, not on smaller vans just for ease.. It could bring you to grief as you go over the edge of a river bank or hit the bottom or climb out the other side as you go past the 22 degree total articulation allowed..

Now I have done that maximum in many places with my old 20' van, not just riverbeds.. I have had to back up a steep bank pushing the van up the bank in low range in the 4x4, to make a steep three point turn to get out of trouble when I have gone down the wrong track.. And on a bad track the vehicle 11 degrees tilted to one side and van tilted the other way 11 degrees as it climbs over a log or rock or something? Look, if you are going to do any serious exploring, I would suggest you rethink this hitch for its limitations, not just because it is perceived to be easier to hook up.... Learn the tricks of how to use the Off-Road hitch. Really big vans that need that conical D-Rated hitch are bit limited in extreme off-road anyway, so why not... But anything from 20' or so and smaller, my best advice is think twice. My new van is larger, and my next van due in March will be larger yet. I would not have the hitch myself, but I have a BBB van (Bloody Big Bushtracker) Ha! And for the most part I travel with horses, so there is a limit of what I am going to put them through... But if you don't have a BBB van, my best advice is don't do it.

Always trying to look after everyone...
Sometimes not what they want to hear....
But don't be mad at the messenger when he is trying to do the right thing...

Happy Trails, stg

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors