Fridge Not Working

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 05:59
ThreadID: 121736 Views:4717 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We noticed our 220lt FrostBite fridge had stopped working one day as we were on the road. It had no light, no fan, and no compressor but, it was working again when we pulled up for the night. This was in very hot weather.
Now, we are in a lot cooler weather in Perth, and the same thing has happened. The voltage at the fridge is 13.04 volts. The L.E.D. on the side of the compressor was illuminated continuously, not flashing, but now it has gone off.
The batteries are all in the healthy range, charging off the solar panels, holding at 13 volts when we noticed the fridge, the power going out was nil as Easy has turned all the circuits except the fridge's off and the solar input was 1.2amps as it's late in the day.
Can anyone shed any light as to what the problem might be? Steve???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:46

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:46
Without our Waeco we had a similar problem and found that the "Diode" in the line going to the compressor that detirmines what speed the compressor runs at had broken inside the plastic casing and was only making contact sometimes. Not sure if your model has a Diode in the line, but if it does try taking it out and the fridge will still run without it, just slower, which is not a problem in cooler climates.

Sounds like it has to be a broken wire somewhere if not there.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565707

Reply By: Andy1 - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:58

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:58
We have had quite a bit of fridge trouble and the fault turned out to be poor connection(s) at the block where the power leads to the fridge are pushed in. The indicator to us was that the light & fan would run but the compressor kept tripping on low voltage cut out. Although these are not you symptoms it might pay to just check the push on connectors as ours were pretty loose.

Andy
AnswerID: 565708

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:31

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:31
A couple of things, first of all Bushtracker is not a one man dog and pony show. And to be quite frank about it, I am not qualified to hazard a guess on some of these things. I do not think this Forum can be a troubleshooting forum on the minutest detail guessing what the problem could be with other Manufacturers products and misshaps... It is just not my department. Design, engineering, experimentation, invention, lifestyle, practical usage, these kind of things are more my department. But the tiny nuances and details of other bought in products is a specialty on its own. One Man, Peter, does it full time, and is just better qualified to hazard a guess than myself, and would suggest a phone call to him...

It is obviously electrical, and the other Boggers responses were the kinds of things to look for. I am answering because I don't want you to think that I am ignoring you.... But, Peter would be more qualified to hazard a guess, or know it it has happened in the past... As usual, most (99%) of all warranty problems are not with Bushtracker, but the other products bought in... I use the best gear we can find, but... The advice from the other Boggers is right on, and you probably need to take out a vent and get in there and wiggle the wiring around trying to find a loose or broken connection. These things get hammered a bit on the corrugation... And wires come loose, connections come loose, and fracture.. Or give Peter a call to see what he can remember from past units or talk to the Manufacturer...

Kind Regards, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565709

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:06

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:06
Thanks to you all for your advice. The problem turned out to be in the fuse holder. The wire size was reduced to accomodate the fuse and fuse holder and this created a hot joint, which then melted the plastic in the fuse holder causing the fuse to make only sporadic contact, i.e. a bad connection. Easy has now changed the fuse holder to one with bigger wire to eliminate the overheating problem in the wire, and we have a running fridge now!
(Glad I keep a sparky as a pet!)
Cheers from Jan O and Sam Elliot
FollowupID: 844245

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:31

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:31
Another fridge problem - ours runs fine on 12 volt. Before we left, we tried out the air conditioner on mains power, with the fridge turned off at the 12 volt board. The fridge started as soon as the mains power was connected. On the road, we tried running it off the generator, but it does not work on 240 volt any more. Maybe some connection has dropped off - my husband is keen to get into the works and have a look - something i would not let him do while we were out and about. The 12 volt was adequate so it wasn't a problem, but there may be times when the weather does not deliver. Any ideas out there?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 565710

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:05

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:05
I take it that you have the Waeco power supply unit that changes from 240volt to 26volts. If that is the case then there should not be any need to turn the 12 volt off to use 240volt supply.

An easy test is to see what power is coming from the transformer with a multi-meter. It should be 26 volts or there abouts when the transformer is connected. That way the fridge sees the 26volt for 240 volt supply as better than the 12 or 24 volts that it will run from and selects the mains power supply.

The other thing is that if you are not using a Honda Inverter type generator the power supply main not be good enough to run transformer.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844246

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:21

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:21
Thanks - i will show my man your post in due course and set him loose with his mulit metre. It still doesn't come on with the mains power (put mains power on to run the vacuum cleaner and be under the confort of the air con when i cleaned it yesterday). I'm not encouraging my husband to get into the fridge just yet - he's pulling our aweful tow hitch apart at the moment. We fitted a Engel to our last caravan a couple of years ago, and that automatically changed when we plugged into mains power. This is running fine on the 12 volt, but does nothing on 240 - maybe something has come loose in our very bumpy travels.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844247

Our Sponsors