Snatch Block for Winching Straps

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:47
ThreadID: 121761 Views:3859 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am looking for a snatch block/pulley for a winching strap - as opposed to the usual wire-rope snatch blocks?

Anyone know if they are made?

Thanks

John and Jean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:07

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:07
G & D
During a previous life I had some experience in the lifts and cranes business.
A strap over pully arrangement is sometimes used in a vertical lift situation but unless you are able to locate a pulley block with roller infeed and outfeed guides to keep the strap flat as it enteres the sheave (never seen one) I think that it would give problems with a horizontal pull.
The strap would most likely roll with the uneven side loads asociated with vehicle winching on cranky terrain.
But then my knowlege is getting old and there may be some more up to date strap over pulley arrangements available now.

Regards
Bob

PS
If you do not like steel wire ropes there are alternative "plastics" with similar characteristics to steel, ie, no stretch, similar strength for same diameter.
But they will burn or melt if in contact with heat.

"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565794

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:18

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:18
Bushtracker Sez...

Friend, not sure I can imagine a use for a proper pulley block to use with a winch strap... Not sure I can see a proper application there.... ??????

Winch, to double the pulling power, yes no problem, use them a lot, have three of them for three 4x4's including a custom built proper unlatching 10 tonne one for the Mack big winch.... You just need to be careful how you use such a beast...

But for a snatch strap???? Be careful..!! Be very careful... It that thing "parts company" it could be a five kilo missile that would kill anyone in the line of fire...
Seriously...

Maybe this is Tip #22 Ha! NO JOKE: Even a little shackle is a no-no to connect two snatch straps, as if anything breaks that shackle is a missile that will come back through the windscreen, through your head, and out through the back window... Serious! It is like a rubber band shooting a kilo sized paper clip and has killed or seriously injured people in the past... A real NO-NO!!! in the 4x4 Clubs...

Regards, the "Lone Ranger" at Bushtracker

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565795

Our Sponsors