Satellite phone subsidy

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:07
ThreadID: 121766 Views:4008 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I have just applied for, and got a subsidy for a sat phone. There seems to be a misconception that you have to have a business and or an ABN number to receive such a subsidy. I am retired, and no longer have a business or an ABN number. I am just an individual. I downloaded the application forms from the web site of Globalstar (www.globalstar.com.au). I chose Globalstar because their GSP 1600 phone is a dual mode phone, in that it will use the terrestrial service if available, but if it is not, it automatically switches over to the Satellite system. The subsidy for the cheapest monthly access fee ($35 with $10 worth of calls included, so it costs you $25 p.m.) is $1,100.00 which takes the sting out of owning a mobile phone that gives you access to anyone anywhere at any time.
I will be paying Globalstar about $800 for this privelage, and I think that is a fair price for what I am getting. For those that require to send and receive E-Mail, this can be done with your Satellite phone and a gadget called "Pocketmail". See www.pocketmail.com.au This gadget will cost you $149 and will send and receive email from ANY phone, be it a sat phone, or the old telecom phone box out in the sticks. This is a great gadget and is my next purchase. Tip: when filling out the subsidy from, put actual place names you are planning to go to. I just put "Australia wide" and they rang me up and asked where I was going and for how long, so I told them the Simpson Desert, the Nullarbor Plain, Innaminka, Birdsville etc etc.. If you are thinking about a mobile Satellite phone, don't be put off by the red tape. It is worth the effort. Good Luck. Keith & Joan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:00

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:00
Can someone with some experience with a satellite phone advise if they will work inside a van ie receive incoming calls at night. Also when travelling in a car will they receive an incoming call?. Can an external antenna be plugged in for both CDMA and satellite?. I have an 8db external CDMA antenna on both the vehicle and the van which works very well. Can the satellite functionality be configered this way also. For communication within range I rely on the CDMA phone and when off the track I use the HF radio. I am sure a list of the limitations of satellite phones would be of interest to all. We've just got back from a four month trip from CQ coastal to SA via Melbourne and back through central NSW and had full CDMA coverage 99% of the time. You must have an external antenna to get this sort of coverage. Some phones don't have the capability of an external antenna so be on the watch when looking to purchase.
We attended the national caravan rally at Lucindale SA where 500 vans attended. We were the only BT there but run into Chris and Sue(Dusky) from Canberra who have one in the pipeline. The tent that was hired was 40m X 40m and cost $40k for a couple of weeks. Cost per van was $300 for the 10 days. Registrations for the next rally in three years at Forbes NSW were taken on the last day. The rally fee is payed for in installments over the next couple of years although many coughed up the full amount initially. This gives the organises working capital to cover expenses as they are incurred. One of the reasons for getting the fees over a period is to avoid complicated federal taxation law.

Any takers regarding the sat phone questions?

Cheers
Ernie and Kay
AnswerID: 565802

Follow Up By: Cobradave - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 00:19

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 00:19
Hey Ernie,
As you know I've been using a GSP1600 for a while, in fact used it throughout our month in the S.A. deserts last November. I found the CDMA reception on the GSP1600 far superior to the CDMA reception on our other LG CDMA phone, other than when we connected the LG to the vehicle mounted external CDMA antenna. We were amazed at how far into the deserts the CDMA signal was reaching. This phone can be run on either CDMA, sat. or automatically switching depending on whether CDMA signal is available.
The sat. phone must have clear sky access to receive a signal (what's new mate?) The GSP1600 does have an expensive car kit option which costs more than the phone but unless you expect to receive calls on it, what's the point ? Not sure if a separate antenna is available without the car kit. More often than not we were way out of CDMA range and used ours to make and receive calls at the end of the day and to send/receive emails via our Pocketmail device. It's a beauty.
FollowupID: 844309

Follow Up By: Keith & Joan - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:54

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:54
Hi David, just wanted to thank you very much for all the advice you have imparted my way over the past few months. Without all the info from you, I would not have known about the Sat phone,the subsidy, and the GSP 1600, or the Pocketmail. Many thanks indeed, you are wealth of knowledge.
Suzietracker, you are correct, i forgot to mention the access fee for the pocketmail, but the details are on the website I am sure, thanks for letting me know.
Regards to all, Keith & Joan.
FollowupID: 844310

Reply By: SuziTracker - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:38

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:38
Keith & Joan

You forgot to mention that the pocketmail has a monthly access fee as well. Depends on which one you pick.

Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 565803

Follow Up By: Cobradave - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:00

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:00
Access fee is around $20/mth for unlimited usage or $2.95/mth if e.g., you won't be travelling for a while and want to keep the account on hold while still being able to use it via the internet.
FollowupID: 844311

Reply By: Freewheelers - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 22:36

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 22:36
Hi All
having read the globalstar brouchure last night seem that ariels etc may be an issue is this the case or is hand held ok car kits $ wow
whats the internet like via pocket mail
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565804

Follow Up By: Cobradave - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:43

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:43
The Pocketmail device has nothing to do with the internet, read about it at www.pocketmail.com.au
It is merely a tool to send/receive emails via a phone handset. It also has email software which enables you to read/write/reply etc. to emails plus an address book feature which interfaces with Microsoft Outlook for data synchronization with a PC or laptop.
FollowupID: 844312

Our Sponsors