Spare Wheel Covers

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 06:52
ThreadID: 121770 Views:4814 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
This one is for Steve et al at Bushtracker............

How about creating and marketing some 'Bushtracker' spare wheel covers as a Marketing/Promotional gizmo. With a good design they would look great on the front of the two spares on the BT and hanging off the back of the tow vehicles... the latter would be instantly recognised as BT owners when not towing...... although we would probably be plauged by questions from interested 'wannabees'

And......... I reckon I should score the first set (3) as a 'freebie' for coming up with the idea he he.....!

Regards

John and Jean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:41

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:41
If a spare wheel cover is fitted to the front of a Bushtracker, then it has to have a strap across the middle of a little lower to stop the wind blowing in the centre and then eventually the cover becomes so loose that it will fly off.

I have covers on my Bushtracker spare wheels and my wife has sown velco straps on each side to keep them on there. This works good, but prior to that we were always tightening them up to keep them there.

Wheel covers are designed for being on the back of a vehicle and not on the front where wind hits them at 100 kph
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565818

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:09

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:09
Hi Brian and Margaret,

What exactly do you velcro to what? I can understand why the wind keeps pushing them in and making them loose.

Regards

John and Jean
FollowupID: 844316

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 19:48

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 19:48
When you put a cover over your spare wheel, it is held in place by an elastic strap that holds it to the rear of the tyre. The cover when fitted is tight across the rubber tyre but because wheel rim goes in a long way, if you push your hand in the centre of the cover then with enough pressure you will be able to push the centre of the cover in until you are touching the wheel rim. When covers are fitted to the spare wheels on the front of a BT the force of the wind blowing on this centre section at 100kph is more than what your hand pressure is and hence over time it flaps and then gradually pulls on the elastic strap holding the cover in place until the cover comes forward over the tread of the tyres. This usually happens more on the outside edge where more wind pressure is hitting.
We solved this by sewing velecro straps to the outer edges of the cover beside the elastic straps on each side when in a horizontal plane and then joining them together behind the wheel. This prevents the wind from pulling the edge of the cover over the tread and eventually off the tyre.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844317

Reply By: Freewheelers - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 22:11

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 22:11
i think youshould think twice before heading this way we had a cover fleecy line on the back of our pajero used to fill upwith dust & then rain & hence mud not very practical
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 565819

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:30

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:30
Steve here, the Lone Ranger, Ha!

Thanks for the idea, about 9 years late from being first...
And sorry, don't like them myself... More hassle, fill up with bulldust and mud, no real reason anymore.... The sun cracking weathering deterioration is not in the new synthetic high carbon rubbers as much.... For example my spares are going on four years old, and show no weathering affect... And the ones on my crane trailer are about six or seven years old, and only the white lettering bleeds white a bit and needs to be cleaned once a year...

But thank you for the good try... Keep on thinking!!!
Kind Regards from Bushtracker...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565820

Follow Up By: The paca people - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:26

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:26
Hi Steve and any Bogger tyre experts,

On the question of spare tyre protection, a possibly true "urban ledgend" has it that the life of a tyre, subject to sunlight and ozone (from the normal atmosphere), is about 7 years irrespective of the distance the tyre may have travelled on the road, IF ANY.

So, is there a recommended scheme for rotating the tyre "pairs" on a BT ?
In the ancient days of cross ply tyres there was a recommended scheme for 5 tyre rotation.
But with the advent of radials (plus non-continuous or temporary spare tyres on some vehicles), current car rotations indicate 'move front L to rear L and and vice versa; and front R to rear R and leave the spare in the boot'.

The situation with a BT having 2 rather expensive HD tyres sitting exposed and no road use is a little different.
Should one just move 2 x spares to the left; 2 x left across to 2 x right; and 2 x right onto the spares carrier?
Thoughts please from Steve and some tyre experts
Cheers,
FollowupID: 844318

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:48

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:48
Hello Paca People,
Look, the BFG 285 Mud Terrains on my Crane trailer are about 7 years old... As far as it goes, the rubber gets harder with age, but I see no other deleterious affects other than white chalkiness bleeding off the surface of the white lettering.... Obviously however, there is no definitive answer to your question as all tyres and types are different...

And I don't know about all the expense of useless rotations unless it was always parked in the same spot with one side sunny.... And, keep it as the Gospel, most tyres cannot counter rotate and have to always turn the same direction or they will delaminate the treads and have all kinds of problems... Anyways, a lot tyres have to always turn the same direction, so they cannot run side to side without turning them around inside out as well when you swap sides...

I have never bothered... But as tyres get worn, that is another question, and yes it pays to put the two new spares into action, pulling out two...
Just keep in mind the rotation, mark them.... Short term if you have a flat counter rotation not a problem. But long term tyre rotation, keep them turning the same direction for best results...

Cheers, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844319

Our Sponsors