Towing Mirrors

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:24
ThreadID: 121779 Views:10149 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We're due to collect our new BT in a couple of weeks time. It will be fitted with a rear view camera, but we will obviously still need towing mirrors.
What is the best type? I'm told that the ones that are stabilized to the bottom of the door cause paint damage. My preference is for the ones that strap on to the existing mirrors.
Thanks all
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:23

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:23
What about the ones caravanners used to use on a bar across the bonnet? I think you have to drill holes to fit them. We bought the mirror extenders - all we could get at the time, but they vibrate and are not that easy to see with, and are quite small. We don't have the rear camera. Large fixed mirrors further to the front would be more effective. I'd like any feedback too.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565856

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:07

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:07
Bob
What type opf tow vehicle?

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 565857

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:24

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:24
Bob
It's a 100 Series Landcruiser T/D
FollowupID: 844345

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:29

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:29
Bobs,

I have found that with the Camera & TV , I don't need the extended mirrors. My vehicle is an LC100.
Hey Turist, where was your photo taken....looks familiar?

Cheers......Rob
AnswerID: 565858

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:19

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:19
G'Day Rob.
Photo was taken pulling up from a Murray River campsite in the Murray-Kulkyne National Park. (A freebie)
Top campsite but if you need directions it'l costya a coldie.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 844346

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:30

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:30
Hate to disappoint you Rob, but as an Ex Traffic Cop, the camera on the rear cannot be taken as a substitute for mirrors, and you are still liable to receive a ticket for "failing to have prescribed mirrors."

You have to have mirrors capable of giving you a clear and uninterupted view to the rear down both sides of the vehicle. Basically if you have the car and van parked in a straight line, and then walk a few metres back behind the van so that you are in line with the side of the van, then see if you can see the car mirrors. If you cannot see your car's mirrors then you are NOT legal.

I have found that the camera gives a distorted view because it is a wide angle and if an emergency vehicle was approaching from say 200 metres behind you wouldn't see what it was, if at all, until it got within 20 to 30 metres of you.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844347

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:38

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:38
G'day Bob,

There ARE great campsites along the river in Hattai Kulkyne NP. We stayed there on our Murray "source to sea trip", 2003. Funnily enough, the photo I use is not far from there, on the bridge onto Lindsay Island, northeast of Renmark. What a great trip.....we'll do it again one day, trying not to camp at the same spots as before.

Cheers......Rob & Liz
AnswerID: 565859

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 06:20

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 06:20
I originally bought the mirrors that strap onto existing vehicle mirrors (Landcruiser 100) but found they just slipped and vibrated too much - I replaced these soon after with the Enzo magnetic mirrors (ie magentic pad to door to complement clip arms to window sill) and these have been quite satisfactory, subject to the following caveats:

1) If you remove the mirrors from the vehicle (eg for security at night), it is difficult to reposition the mirrors in exactly the same place, so some adjustment is usually required);
2) When you stow the mirrors (eg in the back of the car), say when driving around town for a few days, they usually move from their settings and need to be realigned next time you use them;
3) Despite the manufacturer's claims, some very slight abrasive polishing of the vehicle' duco under the magnetic pad (from dust buildup) is evident after a lot of use.

However, once aligned, there is absolutely no vibration or movement at all.

If I had my time again though, I would probably experiment with fender mounted mirrors, such as the Fawkner - see Kogarah Caravan Accesories at http://www.caravanacc.com.au/.

Phil
AnswerID: 565860

Follow Up By: The paca people - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:17

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:17
Hi Phil,
I, too, have Enzo magnetic mirrors but anyone purchasing same, be aware that there are now 2 lengths of top arm which controls the angle of the main mirror carrying arms with respect to the ground. This controls/effects the distance out from the vehicle centreline of the mirror hence how far out and behind your van you can see.

To overcome the small problem of mirror vibration allowed by the "spade" or "tongue" on the inner end of the top arm 'rattling' in the gap between window glass and door, I purchased a single knuckle magnetic base from F Terzzi (Ora Products) and cut the flattened end off the top arm then fitted the single magnetic base.
The revised mounting holds the mirror far more securely, gets the mirror further outboard and give me a better view of what is behind me and trying to overtake.

(Yes, I suppose somebody will point out thay my resulting "wing span" probably exceeds the legal maximum allowable but I prefer to see clearly what is comming!).

I will try to post some pics on the BOG website but if they don get there then anybody contemplating a similar scheme is welcome to email us and i can reply with a set of pics.
Good travels and cheers from
Martin Bunny
FollowupID: 844348

Reply By: Rockgoc - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 00:23

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 00:23
Hi Bob. We too asked the same question before we picked our BT up last year...almost our 1st anniversary!!
We opted for the "truck mirrors" bought through Camec. They sit on the side of the door with a strap connecting down to a point on the bottom of the door, and they do have a pad which sits against the door and they tighten up using a rachet system. We have NEVER had them vibrate loose or scratch the paintwork (we clean underneath before attaching) We find them a very good system to use, not cheap, but they work for us. PS We were full time travellers, up until this week, so the mirrors got a lot of use.
They aren't hard to position and set them up in around 3 minutes flat!
Hope this helps, Cheers Jan O
AnswerID: 565861

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 03:38

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 03:38
Hi,
We too had the Aussie made truck strap down mirrors (for a little while). Providing you keep the mirror arm horizontal there is no problem scratching your window glass and certainly no obvious need for them to ever scratch paintwork. With our F250 I was still not totally happy with them and eventually got a great deal on replacement telescope mirrors wich are great. So still have 2 strap on mirrors willing to sell for a song and a bit.
Ivan
AnswerID: 565862

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:15

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:15
Ivan,
We found that when the straps got wet, they stretched and then the wind while driving allowed them to flap against the body and in turn it will eventually rub on the paint work.
We solved this problem by placing a piece of magnetic tape about 150mm long and a little wider than the strap between the strap and door at its widest part, and always retensioned the strap whenever it got wet. We found those mirrors very good and stable, but like you bought the Ford tow truck extendable mirrors that are much neater and adjustable by electric controller.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844349

Our Sponsors