SAFETY SEALS! THEY FIX PUNCTURES!!

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 05:52
ThreadID: 121780 Views:3930 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Sooner or later it is going to happen to all of us: a puncture when you least expect it. Well, today it happened to us on a gravely/rocky road in NW Tasi. The tire sensor beeped and I pushed the necessary buttons and watched the driver's side rear slowly loose air. No doubt that without the sensor it would have been quite flat before we realized what had happened and had to drive off the road on a deflated tire - perhaps destroying the tire. In this case, with plenty of air remaining we were able to drive onto the shoulder, locate the puncture, and then slowly drive forward so that the puncture was on the top of the wheel.

Instead of having to change the tire, we used Safety Seal purchased months ago from ARB.

The interesting thing about Safety Seal is that the compound vulcanizes with the tire to make a perfect and permanent seal.

First I removed the rock that had gone between the treads and using one of the tools that comes with the kit determined that the hole was small enough to use the product.

Next the instruction says to inflate and to push the product into the hole to stop the loss of air. Ha! Using a Big Red pump the air was coming out of the hole as fast as we were putting it into the tire. So much for "inflate the tire" first!

Since the puncture was on the top of the tire, I was able to push the compound into the tire as instructed, and then I inflated the tire to 70 psi. Sealed immediately; we drove off continuing another 10k on the unsealed road and 50k back to our BT.

Suggest everyone invest in this bit of insurance. Sure was cleaner and easier than changing the tire.

Luvntravln
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 00:02

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 00:02
You were lucky that the hole was of such a size that you could easily find where the puncture was.
Wait until you get a slow leak with a small name of piece of steel through the tyre and that you will find that you will still have to remove the wheel and have a close inspection, or immerse it in water to find the leak.

I had to repair 2 slow leaking punctures on our last WA trip, and both were very hard to locate.

After using the Safety Seal I went to a tyre service to check if they required a professional internal patch put in and was informed that what I had fitted would be fine. I have paid for the repair kit already by not having to pay a tyre service to do the repairs.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565863

Our Sponsors