An INDELICATE topic from the PRIVATE FORUM brought over to here…..

Submitted: Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 23:39
ThreadID: 121790 Views:3979 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This one gets a bit private, and is a bit uncomfortable of an issue to address for most people, but has been a topic of some interest for quite a while. So here is the latest update, and it does get a bit personal, but since it is on the cutting edge of interest, here goes:

The Vacu-Flush toilet is a nice idea, and yes there is an odour advantage but there are a couple of problems to overcome. The first problem is that you don't want a long run to the nearest location for the pump and cassette. This is a loop under the van, between the China bowl and the cassette, and everything works really great until it doesn't work ! I would not want to service a long loop packed up... Get my drift? Could get real ugly... I would not want to tackle it... A real @%#!!! Bad morning… Ha!

Now this brings us to the second problem, OK, a short run to the cassette in some layouts, so no drama: But the existing Thetford electric flush toilet is bowl and cassette in the same space. The new unit that is getting some interest, breaks them up into two spaces, so the China bowl sits alone in its space…. But the cassette has to go somewhere else which destroys a locker somewhere: Problem.

Now we will look at the storage area, where it would go if possible, and if you decide it is worth the cost in space no problem it can be done. But.. It will no doubt cost you storage space somewhere, and I am not sure it is worth the space in most vans under about 20’.

Now why all the interest in the first place? Well, yes the china bowl looks nice, if you care much about that sort of a thing… I know I probably don’t. The real issue is that there may be less odour. I am sure that this is the major advantage. So, get it if you have the room to spare, but for those of you who do not, I am not sure if you are missing out on that much.. This is for you:
Here are some tips to overcome this advantage and save space: Tip # 23 from Bushtracker to my fellow BOGGERS.

First of all, I drive with my little window in the bathroom open about an inch. I have done this for years without any bad effects… Once I forgot and did it in the Bull dust, and all the little drops of water became red mud spots. However, it was not as bad as it looked at first shock, and a quick squirt with the hand held shower and it all went down the drain… But seriously, if not in the Bulldust, I have found that the “venturi” effect sucks out all odours..

Now, the other thing of MAJOR IMPORTANCE is your chemicals… Some people have an odour problem because they do not use enough chemicals in the bottom tank. Look, those chemicals are viewed as an odour mask by most people. While yes that is part of their function, so get one that has a smell you can tolerate, like pine forest or something, that is not the main function of the chemicals… The main function of the chemicals is a PRESERVATIVE. Even then, you can only go about half as long before emptying in summer as winter, because of the preservation issue. Any way, use enough chemicals!

Now after all of this, I will admit that a Vacu-Flush is going in my new van due out next month. And I will have two cassettes to switch out in turn. But this is to properly field test the unit and see if there are any other long term problems before we have too many of them running around out there… Will keep you all posted….

Cheers, from the "Lone Ranger" at Bushtracker, Ha!
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 00:56

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 00:56
Steve,
"
We have used a vacuflush in a boat for 9 years. The "duck bill "valves require replacement regularly e.g 2-3 years. Never had a problem with obstruction BUT strict rules about what goes in them, and the type of toilet paper that is used. The run is to a holding tank as overboard dischage is not allowed within 3 miles of the coast (CA).

Doug.
AnswerID: 565886

Our Sponsors