Convert Thetford toToilet to chemical free?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 06:40
ThreadID: 121793 Views:9512 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried the chemical free conversion available for the thetford toilets. Has BT looked into this and if so, whats the verdict? Steve? Looks good, in theory.....I just wonder how you'd go when emptying?

Here's a link to details- http://aussietraveller.com.au/products/sog_unit.htm

Look forward to any comments.

Regards
Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:13

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:13
Dump question - but where do people empty their chemical toilets - i haven't seen many obvious dumping points in Australia. How harmful is the chemical if just buried?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565893

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:07

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:07
If you are using the Thetford Pink and Green chemicals then they can be disposed of in any septic system. The brown one cannot be. Otherwise any sewerage system can handle it.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844357

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:29

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:29
G'day Motherhen,

My concern re emptying was not whether or not it is ok to do so, (there are no chemicals so there's nothing in the cassette that you wouldn't be "disposing" of in the bush anyways). And even with chemicals in, the brown packaged formaldahyde(spelling?) based product that you should be worried about, especially in septics. I use neither that particular brand nor the Thetford as I have found Chemtech's Portasol to be much better smelling and far better value. We use it in top and bottom tanks and it actually smells pleasent in comparison to Thetfords version.

My main concern would be the untamed (no chemical to mask smell remember) smell from the contents of the cassette as you emptied into hole in bush or toilet in park. You could imagine the looks you might get when you let 20litres or so of toillet contents into a room where people might be brushing teeth etc. Even with the chemicals it's best to go late at night for emptying if in park to avoid "death stares" from other ammentie block users.

Until I could get the thoughts of someone who has experienced emptying their toilet with this system in place I'd be very reluctant to install the sytem

Regards

Matt
FollowupID: 844358

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:57

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:57
This system relies on a small fan drawing air at all times.
The waste in the tank slops around when travelling. Evidenced by the deposits under the cap.
Hate to think what happens when the waste slops up into the fan system.

Guess you could really say "The s..t hit the fan"

Apart from that, havn't had a problem with the tetford Green stuff. Always dig a hole whlie bush camping. Because waste is broken into a slurry it buries easily.

Friend is an industrial chemist, makes detergents and he advises that most toilet chemicals lose their effect after 3 days.
I empty the can every three days full or not.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 565894

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 04:35

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 04:35
G'day Bob,

The way I read the guff on this system, the fan is only on while the blade part of the cassette is open which therefore stops any smell (chemical or otherwise) entering interior of van, and avoids the you know what literally hitting the fan!!

Definantly seems like a good idea, never have to buy, carry, use or smell chemical for toilet again. Although some kind of chemical would probably still be needed in top tank, despite manufacturers claim that you don't....

I'll be going to the Melbourne show soon and hopefully the SOG people will be there to answer my questions re foul smell when emptying.

Cheers
Matt
FollowupID: 844359

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:52

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:52
Anthony had me in stitches when relating an episode he had of dumping a load into a bathroom full of people. I will leave it up to your imagination of the events that occurred.

It is said there are those that have and those that have yet to have it happen.........

errrrr a question for the ladies.....given political correctness and gender equality and all that BS, I've yet to see a lady at the dump point....am I right or am I right ?????????????

It was a sad day indeed when he decided to bow out of the forum. Let's hope the events that happened that led to his decision do not happen again.

Ernie
AnswerID: 565895

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:14

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:14
G'day Ernie,

Never seen the lady emptying the toilet cassette? Well, I've never emptied it once!! The day after we picked up our BT I was in hospital and then in bed for 2 weeks. Someone had to learn how to operate the new toilet so my wife emptied it while I was bed ridden as has sone so ever since (over 12 months). I'm quite happy with this setup!

Matt

AnswerID: 565896

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:18

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:18
Please send the training manual.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844360

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:34

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:34
Bob

1-Sufficiently injure oneself to the point where carrying 20litres of waste would be impossible.-This leaves the wife no option but to learn emptying process.

2-Enjoy hearing that familiar sound of the cassette sliding in and out of van as someone else does 'that job'.

Note. Once the habit is formed, never ever offer to empty again as you'l then be back to square one. If for some reason one day a strike occurs I always use this one. "You fill it, you empty it". After all the female members of the household are much more reliant on Mr Thetford where as for the blokes pretty much anywhere out of view is fine.

*no responsibility taken for loss of limb or life whilst implimenting this process.

Matt
AnswerID: 565897

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:13

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:13
You certainly went to a lot of trouble.

I tried being more subtle.
Brought her a Chrissie present for the van.
Properly wrapped, pink bow and all.
Contents were;
White rubber boots, (very feminine)
Waterproof apron. (With floral decoration)
Pink rubber gloves.
Waterproof wash bag with soap and towel.

All personally embroidered with "My Dunny Kit"

Didn't work.
Good news is that I am now allowed to sleep on the inside again.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844361

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:15

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:15
Dunny users and Thetford dumpers,

If you stay at a caravan park and use their toilets, say twice per day, you are depositing 20 or so litres of flushed sewage into their septic, or sewer.(Say, about 10 litres per flush.)

For two people it is double, say 40 litres per day or 160 litres over four days. When you empty the Theford's 20 litres, you are dumping up to four days of sewage at a time (two people, 2 times /day =16 uses).

So, when you add the 10 litre flush of the Park's toilet when you empty the cassette, and another 15 litres to rinse and reflush, you are depositing a total of 45 litres of into the sewerage system for four days use.

This means you are only depositing 28% of sewage that the other caravanners are putting in the system.

This represents a saving for caravan park owners and, if you do find yourself in a confrontation with other toilet users you could explain this, or even give them a copy of this post.

As Steve says............Ha!!

Cheers.............Rob
AnswerID: 565898

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:35

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:35
I have a sewage holding tank on my boat, holds about 300 lt.
Even though the waste is flushed into the tank with salt water the stink when it is pumped out is significant to say the least.
That stuff really ferments.

I now blend some of the Thetford green stuff into the flushing system and that reduces the odour to an acceptable level.

I still have concerns about waste getting into the "breather" of the chem free system.
In the photo it looks like convoluted hose, would be dificult to clean.
And those road vibrations, especially corrugations, really move that waste around.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 565899

Our Sponsors