anyone towing with Canter or Isuzu

Submitted: Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 01:00
ThreadID: 121816 Views:4725 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are toying with the idea of towing the future bushtracker with a new 4x4 Canter or Isuzu. We are farmers so the vechicle could be used for farming and with a special fabricated back for caravaning. ie extra fuel extra water and loads storage space, we feel it would be a good towing vechicle with 3 tonne carring capicity,and still park in the main street. That would mean we could have a smaller town vechicle such as a Prado. Big question for us would be the comfort factor as our 98 canter is very rough.

Bonnidowns
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 00:11

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 00:11
G'day Bonnidowns,

In the research I did pre BT (2002) I had considered the truck type 4wd option. Problem encounted was the power. I reckon you need at least 200+kw of power and 500+Nm of torque for a good tow vehicle for a BT. If you can get that out of a Canter or Isuzu then it'd be a beauty. Good turning circle (manoeuvrability), plenty of weight carrying capacity, etc. You may also have to look at a couple of air suspension seats to improve comfort.

Cheers..........Rob & Liz
AnswerID: 565939

Follow Up By: Bonnidowns - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:23

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:23
Tellem Bugrem
The one you researched was it the turbo diesel canter or the straight diesel?
Q. how fast do people travel on the average flat road
Q,how fast do people travel on an average incline,
(20ft BT)
A Landcruiser or Patrol is a heavy car where a Canter or Isuzu is a light truck with the same size motor you would think they would meet in the middle.
Bonnidowns
FollowupID: 844385

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:37

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:37
Bonniedowns,

The obvious answer to both questions is that the rig should be able to be driven comfortably at the posted speed limit. Therefore 110km/h max. even on inclines. That's the reason for me saying 200 kilowatts and 500 newton-metres of torque. I don't know what the current model Canters' etc have with their turbo and non-turbo versions, but I suspect that you should be looking only at turbo models.

Keep looking!..............Rob
AnswerID: 565940

Follow Up By: Toomelah - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:28

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:28
Rob

What's this 110km/hr? My understanding is that with a trailer on the back the speed limit is 100km/h in all states

Cheers
Clive
FollowupID: 844386

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:29

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:29
Extract from NSW RTA Drivers Handbook

"Drivers of motor vehicles with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes or motor vehicle and trailer combinations with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes must not go faster than 100 km/h."

Somewhere in the Aust. Road Rules it states that a vehicle must not be driven at a speed in excess of the manufacturers maximum rated speed.
Well you can't drive a caravan but I am sure that rule applies to towing.

BT's are rated at a max speed of 100 km/h so a smart copper could get you on that one I suppose.

Regards
Bob
PS. I guess I'll have to de-program the Effie now.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844387

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 23:46

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 23:46
Hello Bonnidowns,
Having researched trucks for three years to upgrade from my F-350 so I could carry horses and tow my Bushtracker, I can tell you of a couple of problems:

First, I am not sure that any of the smaller Mitsubishi or Isuzu trucks have enough power to do the job..... The Canter is pretty underpowered on its own, and the 4x4 Isuzu is not much better....

Second of all ride: They ride like a truck... Unless you really load them up or do extensive suspension modifications, you get a pretty rough ride. You also will have to build or buy some kind of flexible hitch to take the rough ruts without destroying the van, as the rear suspension on most of those trucks is severe and jolts the van pretty hard...

I am not saying you cannot overcome these problems, but it is a bit of a challenge. The truck will weigh enough on its own by the time you get it loaded up with toys and such, to be a bit slow even without adding the van on the back... And just to make you aware of the need for a flexible hitch mount so you are not hard on the van....

I even tried to swap out the motor with a newer motor, a GB1T 220 hp motor, and the result was a disaster in my dual cab Isuzu, never did get it right...

Cheers, the "Lone Ranger" at Bushtracker

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565941

Our Sponsors