Touring S.A.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:33
ThreadID: 121819 Views:4130 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The next trip is fast approaching.
Together with some friends we are renting a houseboat on the Murray for a week.
Expect to leave Renmark around 10th April.
The route we will probably take is via;
Burra, Peterborough, Orroroo, Leigh Creek, Marree, William Creek, Coober Pedy and then North.
Or
Burra, Peterborough, Orroroo, Leigh Creek, Marree, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Maria and then North.

Probably up the Stuart H'way to Dunmarra then the Buchanan to Top Springs, Timber Creek.

If anyone has any reccomendations, sites to see, detours to take, campsites, pubs or more pubs I would appreciate any feedback.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:46

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:46
Hi turist

Great camping at Curimurka and Coward Springs on the Oodnadatta track. make sure u visit the mound springs and blanch cup near Coward Springs.

If u are looking for a more adventurous way head north from Oodna to Pedirka then on to Dalhousie, Mount Dare, Charlotte Waters, New Crown then Finke. While at finke go see Molly Clark at Andado (kick myself for missing that last time i was there)

From Finke you can go west to Kulgera and pick up the Stuart HWay. On the way to Kulgera drop in at Lamberts geographic centre of Oz.

Alternatively you may consider folowing the old Ghan railway line from Finke to Alice. This is rough and sandy and corrugated and may be too difficult towing. Its the route thr Finke dessert race follows. Took me two days to drive the same distance the race cars do it in two hours. If you chose this route you must visit Chambers Pillar. great spot.

Vidas
AnswerID: 565944

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:48

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:48
Two years ago on the way to Andado a troopie in front of us went so far down a bulldust hole he had to get a recovery unit.
May not be the best track with a BT on the back unless they have done some improvement.
Anyhow our normal system is to check conditions locally as we go and detour through the back tracks where possible.
Not bad suggestions though, thanks.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844389

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:02

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:02
So I guess a visit to Kangaroo Island to see the Babe and Buck is out of the question then? Drat!!

Angie
AnswerID: 565945

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:43

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:43
It would be a long detour but;

Angie if you promise to model that little leather cowgirl skirt................
But this time, no whip eh.

Best regards
Bob

"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844390

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:03

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:03
Guess we wont be seeing you then Bobby. Angie doesn't go anywhere without her whip.

Have a good trip.

Angie
AnswerID: 565946

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:03

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:03
Hi Bob,
We did similar trip in June last year after picking up new BT. Oodnadatta Track not a problem but if you are heading to Chambers and or Finke please check road conditions as there is still rain here in the NT that could mean roads are very tricky, partic if towing.
We have passed tow trucks bearing 4x4's that lost control in the slippery mud, not a good way to spend the hols. Much rather be wary than a bull rush!!!
Agree with the campsites up the O track, very worth while.
Prue
AnswerID: 565947

Our Sponsors