Garbage

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 17:36
ThreadID: 121827 Views:5026 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I guess everyone accumulates garbage as we travel but what do we do about it?

Do we containerise it and stow outside (drawbar etc) until the next tip or do Boggers have garbage containers purpose built?

Cheers
Hob & Barb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:20

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:20
Leave her at home!!

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 565980

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:45

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:45
Lone Ranger Sez........

In the bush you can bury the bulk of organic material....
We burn paper plates and such...

Rinse and crush the rest, and toss it next time in civilization....

Long time out bush can even see cans burned and they rust away to nothing Pronto... Not much trash to save...

Cheers, stg

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565981

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:03

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:03
We carried a small plastic bin on the a-frame. We don't have a lot of rubbish, and put what little we had in a layby bin when we found one.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565982

Reply By: MattandLana - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:06

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:06
If you're in possum country they'll rip open plastic containers. If you're in fire ban country you can't burn it.

We don't have a van yet, but are planning to put something like a lightweight metal bin on the drawbar. Or keep it in a plastic bin and suspend it overnight - but you have to work at this or the possums will climb down the rope and still rip open the container!

Matt & Lana
AnswerID: 565983

Reply By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:54

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:54
We take delivery of our 20ft BT in late May.

We plan to handle daily garbage the same way we did in our last 2 boats.

We'll have a plastic-coated wire shopping bag frame holder, with a flip up plastic lid, screwed to the back of the cupboard door under the sink. Shelf in cupboard will need a small cutout to accommodate, but we'll still be able to get reasonable storage. Cost about $25 from storage stores. It gets it out from underfoot in confined spaces, and away from animals and bugs. We have the same system in our home kitchen. Over many years bush camping with a 4WD + tent, we've buried organic rubbish (collect in an icecream bucket with fitting lid), and, like Steve, burned the rest, except for bottles and cans, which we gather in a bucket, or stash in nooks & crannies, and leave in recycle bins when passing through the next town. We acknowledge that firebans will increase the amount of rubbish, and being on the road permanently is a far cry from a few weeks; haven't yet decided on stage 2 (garbage overload) procedures, but will probably accumulate in big garbage bag, well sealed, in cargo hold. What to do with that can be a problem, as in recent years we have noticed signs on public bins in some local govt areas, banning the dumping of domestic rubbish.

Cheers

Deborah
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565984

Follow Up By: MattandLana - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 12:41

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 12:41
I've often wondered whether camping rubbish is "domestic"? I suppose the council could tell you how they view it.
FollowupID: 844398

Our Sponsors