levelling of van

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:56
ThreadID: 121828 Views:4932 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
at bt last week & noticed some vans with stabiliser legs bt are non committal about how much levelling you will get from these on a bigger van standard answer is they are for stabilising not levelling
no doubt some of you have had legs fitted by bt & others by after market what is your experience with using these to help level or is van to heavy
the jacks from super cheap etc seem like space consumers
how do you seasoned travellers cope relying on finding a convienient rock or log
as suggested by some seems a little opportunistic
does anybody use the fiamma wedges or are they not very useful with the load sharig suspension cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:35

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:35
Here is both sides of this issue from the experience of the majority: The Pros and cons are outweighed by the priorities of weight concerns, and this is something you can probably do without.... Also the primary design is stiffening the van for the motion sensitive not side to side levelling... Yes they are nice, but so are about 265 other ideas, and are they necessary? Here is the whole enchillada:

On the issue of stands, there are long ones available that can be fitted. We can put them on if you like, but with our suspension most don’t need them. We leave them off as they are not necessary for the overwhelming majority and so add useless weight. We did not put three sets on in the previous seven years before the BOG group made them popular in 2003. 98% or more of Clients do not need them, I don't have them on mine, Tracy does not have them on his, and most feel the same way.. It is a fad of late with the Bushtracker Owners talking amongst themselves, but you will still have some minor feel of someone walking in the van even when you do use them... The far and above overwhelming majority don't require them, but if you feel that you want them we can add them on... In stormy wind conditions, they will work the soil out of the way and you will find tiny minor movement if you focus on it, even with the stands down. When someone is walking in the van, if you focus on it, you will still be able to feel it... The stands accomplish little, and that is why we don't put them on... They particularly are not designed to level the van as much as just firm it up for motion sensitive people.

My new van will be finished in the next six weeks, and there are none on it… For the little 50mm or 100mm out of level side to side, I have been going with a Bushtracker longer than anyone else, and will still say there is no where I cannot scuff a little dirt with my boot, or put a stick in front of each tyre, or a rock, while I am waiting the Turbo to cool down… I will pull forward the six inches and level my van in about ¼ the time or less, of putting down jack legs. And the Jack Legs are not really designed to take the loading of levelling as you say, more just taking out motion from walking...

It has become a fad in the last year or two, only because people are focusing on it and paying too much attention to it. But still in our view not required -only optional equipment. If we put all those little possibilities on our vans that people dream up, they would add up to hundreds of kilos or more. In saying all of this, there are always exceptions to the rule like an extreme sensitivity to motion, and if you want the folding legs added on we can do it. The best ones are $350 a pair installed .....

I would say in defence of them, stiffening for motion sensitive- Yes, levelling, don't think so.... Not high on the list for extra weight to carry around forever...

And the "Lone Ranger" has been dragging a Bushtracker longer than anyone... But this is a grey area, and there are some that will disagree. To try and help on a "Grey Area Decision" I can only give you the weighted majority of experience, and in this case I say not worth the added weight and cost. For some, absolutely yes, but on the whole for the overall majority.... Look, I think you can do just fine without them....

I am sure some here will disagree, and you can be one, we are happy to put them on... Just giving the best advice I can on a "grey area" of personal choice that is not conclusive...

Cheers, stg

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565985

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 16:25

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 16:25
Hi Freewheelers

As someone who, like Steve, lived on a sailboat for more than ten years and is very used to the rock 'n roll of the seas, now that I live permanently in a Land Yacht I wouldn't be without all four legs! They significantly reduce the motion when you are walking in the van - especially felt when one partner is in bed and the other is walking around and you are just stopping for the night and were too lazy to put them down - GRIN.

They are not for levelling!!!!!

If you lower them more than a "tight fit" you can actually tweak the van and, for example, the door or some other installation will go out of "true".

Luvntravln

AnswerID: 565986

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 19:55

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 19:55
Hello Stephen and Deborah,

At Copeton our van fell off levelling chocks whilst Liz and two of out BT neighbours were inside discussing cupboard space etc. Thankfully the blokes weren't crawling underneath doing plumbing inspection or something. When we took a ticket in the raffle, Liz decided she would win the Vehicle Components' stabiliser legs. And thats exactly what happened!

Must admit that they do make things a little more comforatble, particularly if one partner is reading in bed whilst the other is walking around, especially going up and down the steps.

As Jay says, they are NOT for levelling the van. We carry 4 pieces of treated pine 200mm wide 50mm thick and about 300mm long. These are light weight and can also be used as a jacking base plate when required. Also a long handled post hole shovel is useful for digging the top-side wheels in a bit if necessary. Keep the divots for replacing when you break camp.

Cheers,........Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 565987

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 04:47

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 04:47
Just to put in something different here. I would agree that stabiliser legs are not for levelling but as we have never lived on a boat, we put legs on very quickly after taking delivery as we felt we really needed to cut out some of the movement that happens when people are walking around. (And they do cut out most movement). On levelling - just put in air bag suspension. 90% of all levelling problems solved. (With an irrational superior snigger).
Ivan
AnswerID: 565988

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:40

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:40
We are just letting the "Old Man Time" test the notions of you experimental engineering "Guinea Pigs"... But I must say, the air bag suspension is going great so far, judging from your reports and "superior snigger"...

A lot of money (and at a $3500 upgrade we are not charging enough and have just raised it to $4000 with the valving and pump and such) A lot of money to save putting a rock or stick or scuff a little dirt in front of the tyre, while the turbo diesel cools down, and then pulling up on it... It is an option, but not on mine... It just comes down to if the Superior Snigglers have the Superior Bank Account to match... Ha! If so, great, go the air bag load sharing suspension.... But the rest of us poor old cowboys will have to scuff dirt, or pick up sticks or rocks....

Mind you, I like the reports so far on the superior ride of the load sharing air bag suspension... Just that on a budget it is one of those things that one can surely do without....

But, you deserve your "irrational superior sniggle", and helped push the edge of the envelope by pioneering the unknown edge on your own...

Cheers, and our respect,
Lone Ranger

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844399

Our Sponsors