Buchanan H'Way

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 00:57
ThreadID: 121833 Views:3700 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering towing my Bushtracker along the Buchanan from Dunmarra to Top Springs then Victoria River Downs to Timber Creek.
Would appreciate any info on this road. Camp spots, normal road conditions etc.
Time would be around early-middle May.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:36

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:36
Hi Bob,
Shouldn't be a problem from the road point of view. The road is well looked after and so long as you are willing to take it easy there should be no problem. The communities along the way are all open to travellers.
However I would check with road conditions as we are at present battening down for Cyclone Ingrid. Not that it will get this far as a cyclone but it is almost certain we are in for a fair bit of water if past experience is anything to go on and that may mean the roads will not be dry enough to travel on although there shouldn't be a problem by May.
Prue
AnswerID: 565993

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 19:19

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 19:19
G'day Bob and Prue,

Sounds like we'll be crossing paths more than once in April, May, June.
Did you get our rough Itinerary on your email. The Itinerary is subject to change if there is a late Wet Season.

Prue, we are planning on going out to Nhulunbuy so would appreciate comments on that road. As you say, we'll be getting more up-to-date info from locals as we go. We'll be passing through your area early June so will give you a call.

I'll email our itinerary to you as well.

All the best.........Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 565994

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 21:34

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 21:34
To Rob. Probably meet up somewhere along the route. Our itinerary is very similar.

To Prue, thanks for the advise. Probably give you a phone call when in your area.
After Timber Creek we are most likely heading for the Gibb R.R.
Have done this road previously with the BT, South to North last time so a different perspective this time.
After Broome a sprint up the black top to Darwin and then a run across the Gulf.

Having previously travelled the Gulf Road, the Plenty, the Tanami and the Gibb with a heck of a lot of back tracks tossed in the Buchanan sounds like a doddle.
Still, one thing I have learnt over the years, never take these roads for granted or under estimate the potential hazards.

I was not joking in a previous post when I mentioned about the troopie getting stuck in a bulldust hole out near Old Andado. (Did have the date wrong though, it was 2002, time flys)
He barrelled into a hole about 1 metre deep at a good rate of knots. Probably would have been OK if he hit it at a sensible speed.
But you know how it is, just gotta get past a slower vehicle. (Us)

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565995

Our Sponsors