12 volt outlets

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:20
ThreadID: 121842 Views:4233 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
we are currently finalising or layout & would like advice on number & use of 12 volt outlets both inside & outside the van cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 00:21

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 00:21
Depends on what 12 volt appliances you want to use. Our BT has no 12 volt - want to run at least a small 12 volt fan on hot nights as the generator only runs the air con for about 4 hours without re-fuelling. 12 volt television might be a future purchase. Running 12 volt should be more economical than running 240 v appliances through the inverter.

Perhaps other members could contribute what 12 v appliances they have. We are going to add 12 v outlets - not sure whether one or two.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 566011

Reply By: Cracker - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 02:44

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 02:44
UHF radios - 12 volt
phone chargers - 12 volt
and a few others I can't remember - add a couple of 12v cig sockets. One does come with the Wineguard ariel ( but I would chuck that in the bin..... the ariel that is ) useless bloody thing !

Cracker
AnswerID: 566012

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:33

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:33
We have internal 12V Audio Visual gear which runs on 12V but that is all internally wired by Sound in Motion at time of installation. We have one 12V outlet on the side of van so that we can hang a 12V light under the awning. Bushtracker fitted one of the two pin outlets in a "T" configuration, because the felt they were best suited for external use. haven't had a problem and haven't seen the need for any more at this stage.

Things like phone chargers, PC etc we run off the 240V circuit via the inverter.

Would suggest that you fit one externally somewhere around the fridge vents

Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 566013

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 06:38

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 06:38
Stephen and Deborah,

We had cigarette plugs installed inside van for phone charging and walkie talkie but also handy for 12 volt fan when bushcamping without genny hence without air con! Living in the NT we need that more than a little often.
Also very handy if running car fridge as cold drinks box in annexe.

Have found walkie talkie handy for calling certain people who are absent from BT either under car or off doing something important (golf) fairly close by. Saves me sounding like the shrew that most men claim their wives are when called to do something they don't think is vitally important (to them).
Also have standard T plug on outside of van.
Prue
AnswerID: 566014

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 04:28

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 04:28
Hi Prue - what type of 12 volt fan did you get? The main reason we want to fit 12 v outlet is so we can run a fan at night. We have seen small ones at auto stores - sort of personal fans for trucks, but thought they might be too small to be effective in the van. How much power does yours use?

Loved your closing paragraph - but that would mean ensuring that the male take a walkie talkie with him to golf, under the car or whatever! How do you achieve that? Then trust him not to turn it off!

Judy
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844410

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 04:11

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 04:11
On the outside of our van we have ONE " T " type 12 volt plug. I have made up a power board similar to the 240 volt type and plug that in when we want to run more than one 12 volt appliance outside at the same time. This plug is protected by the vans circuit breaker so it will not be overloaded.

As 12volt is more efficient that running on 240volt through an inverter, a couple of plugs on the inside would also be worth while for all the items listed above.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 566015

Our Sponsors