leaking jerry cans & wine casks

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:54
ThreadID: 121844 Views:4029 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all had dinner with good friends on saturday night they are keen f w drivers they related stories of plastic jerry cans rubbing through due to vibration any body with similar experience also the blatters on wine casks rubbing on the inside of thier box & wearing a hole & hence lotsa mess what a loss out the back of onadatta cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 20:30

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 20:30
Would suspect that your friends did not have a Bushtracker. While motion on the corrugation can wear thru cans and such on sharp object there are three things that minimalize this issue:

1) Proper tyre pressure, being reduced on the corrugation to minimalize the vibration and chafe.

2) The Bushtracker suspension itself, being load sharing, shifts the load such that the ruts do not deliver all of the shock to the van like a normal suspension, but absorbs a lot of that in the articulation of the Load Sharing Independent Suspension itself...

3) Proper packing before a big trip also minimalizes that chafe and wear. I had hardware mixed with bottle drinks and it wore through on one trip out there many years ago... Soon learned to pack correctly, and put drinks and such in cardboard boxes away from hardward. Bottles of wine (Life is too short to drink third rate wine out of boxes) Ha!.. Bottle of wine travel well in the cardboard dividers they are orginally shipped with in cardboard boxes.

And finally, just like Yachts off-shore, the best locker is the one that is full. We pack extra paper towels or whatever in the lockers to minimalize movement when making a 500km crossing of the Outback on dirt corrugated roads. If we do not have extra bulk like paper towels or cannot buy them, we use linens and towels to pack the locker full to minimalize movement. Loose packing in lockers is the main cause for problems. Just like on a ocean going yacht...

Lessons learned the hard way long remembered.

Another tip from the "Lone Ranger" at Bushtracker, Happy Trails....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566017

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:07

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:07
yourv right they were 4 w d witha tent most stuff on a roof rack food insidea draw system cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844411

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:25

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:25
Yea Stephen and Deborah,

'Nough said on that one.... Not much fun travelin' like that and a lot of work too....! Been there done that, a burn out after a while, and definitely not a Lifestyle....

Any one can rough it doing it tough, but after a while it gets a bit old!

Ha!
Cheers from Bushtracker
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844412

Our Sponsors