What's happening in the Gulf?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 01:32
ThreadID: 121848 Views:6156 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Over the last few weeks we have been waiting to see where we would be able to get to for our Easter Barra fishing trip and after Ingrid's departure from our part of the country started ringing our normal haunts to get an idea of what roads where passable and what wasn't. To my absolute disbelief, I have found that it is not the roads that are the problem. It seems that every station bar one, (Delta Downs) has been shut to the travelling public between Kowanyama and Borroloola. This list also includes Escott Station just outside of Burketown and Wollogarang Sation and Roadhouse on the NT Border. Lyn and I have been camping and fishing the Eastern gulf for years in tents and camper trailers and this was to be our first trip in the new BT. it was actually Easter last year at Escott where we saw our first two BT's and inspired us to bush the camp trailer and lash out for our own BT.
If anyone has any knowlege of what is happening, I would love to hear your views. When we rang the Burke shire council, a lady told us that there are plenty of places to fish and you can stay at the local caravan park...They just don't get it do they...
Cheers Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:52

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:52
Peter have they closed off the camp grounds at Escott and Wollogorang or just the tracks?
Is it a temporary weather related thing?
That is the track to the coast from Wollogarang and the tracks down the river from Escott?
Is this just story being put around or have you been in contact with Escott and Wollogarang directly?
May be worth a direct call or e-mail to be sure.

I have also used and fished those spots and would not like to lose access, we are heading that way after the Kimberly.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566027

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:06

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:06
In case you need them.
Wollogorang Telephone: (08) 8975 9944
Escott Lodge (07) 4748 5577
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 844420

Reply By: Kingy - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:17

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:17
Hi Bob.
When you ring Wollogorang you get a answering machine and the bloke on the other end tells you that the roadhouse, camping, and access to the beach is closed indefinately. Both the Burketown council and the local van park told us that Escott didn't renew the lease for the lodge and have closed the property off at the gate. You can still flick a lure from the causeway. The other spot we have fished extensively is the Staaten River whilst camping on Dinah Island and Inkerman Station. Both have been bought by the company that owns Vanrook Station and they also purchased Dorunda and have since closed all to the public. Up until now all three were able to accessed by all for a nightly fee with facilities ranging from licenced bar and powered sites to remote bush camping (us)..I am still trying to work it all out, particularly in light of the money spent over the last few years by all the councils promoting the savannah way across the top. Looks like the NT for my next trip, good Queensland dollars going interstate.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 566028

Follow Up By: Kingy - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:14

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:14
I also rang Hell's Gate and that was the shortest conversation of the lot. When asked about access to the creeks the response was.."Everythings closed, can't fish between Burketown and Borroloola...Click" ..
FollowupID: 844421

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:41

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:41
Kinbgy, does that mean that part of the Savannah Way is closed? There is a whole website devoted to promoting it! We haven't got near any of that area yet, but look at maps and dream often.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 566029

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:42

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:42
Kingy - sorry for mis-typing your name - long chicken claws
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844422

Follow Up By: Kingy - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:18

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:18
Hi motherhen.
The savannah way is not closed, niether are the public owned atttaractions displayed on the website. What has closed are the many private stations that up till this year allowed us the travelling public access to there properties usually for a nightly fee. On the development road from Normanton to Dunbar, there are now signs in place warning the traveller not to venture off the road reserve at all under threat of trespass... There are probably many reasons why they have taken this step and a few that come to mind are public liability, rednecks shooting everything that moves including cattle and horses, mess left behind by the same people, and there's a lot more money in beef now than when they first invited us on...MAybe we will have to wait for the next downturn in beef prices. The part that I can't understand is why they have all decided to close at the same time..
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 844423

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:06

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:06
Thanks for the explanation Kingy. Like you say - maybe this year there is more money in cattle that tourists - although that seems unlikely. How wide is the road reserve?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 844424

Follow Up By: Kingy - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 19:50

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 19:50
The road reserve in this case is the width of the graded road. Don't think I'd like to be pulled up when a road train goes past at 80ks...
FollowupID: 844425

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 20:43
Looks like Kingfisher is gunna get awful crowded this year.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 566030

Our Sponsors