vehicle roller drawers

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:43
ThreadID: 121874 Views:4511 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
i'm finding it hard to see the value in the commercially available twin drawer sets the "outback" sets are around $1700 self install kits from s.a. are around $1000 & there are others in between quality draw slides ( say up 100 kg capacity) are about $120 & the total materials add up to $450 approx anybody built thier own ???
anybody with experience of the commercial ones at either end of the market cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:14

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:14
We had the professionally made ones in our 2001 Landcruiser and our daughter still has that vehicle, with no problems with the drawers.

Even though the materials can be purchased for so much less, I suppose that we have to pay to get someone the neatly fold the materials to form the drawers.

Turist has home made drawers in his F250 and I think they are made from timber, but the advantage of making your own is that you can make them to the dimensions that best suits your requirements.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 566081

Reply By: MattandLana - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:04

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:04
Hi,

We have the "Outback" ones sold by 4WD Interiors (www.4wdinteriors.com) thru ARB and others. We bought a set for our 80 series and the minute we sold it we bought a set for our replacement 100 series. (Anyone want to buy a second-hand set of 80 series drawers?)

They are expensive, yes, but very very high quality. They have zero rattle and we have driven on some very bad roads. They are very strong. They fit perfectly. The last bit is important because if the deck above your drawers is not a perfect fit in the car, you'll keep on losing little stuff down the cracks.

If you buy them, take out (or don't install) the little quarter-panels which fill the gaps on either side of the drawers, between the draws and the door frame, caused by the drawers having to sit inside the wheelarches. This gives you easy access to the tunnel down each side, under the deck. It looks a bit less pretty but is a very useful cranny to stuff things without having to unpack the load on top of the deck to access the hatches into this space. (Note that you might want to add a bracket to reinforce the deck after removing these.)

Matt and Lana
AnswerID: 566082

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:31

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:31
Hi there,
We made our own as like you couldn't see the value in commercially made product and didn't necessarily want the drawers in there permanently.
We have 100 series LC and hubby made racks using steel as frame and aluminium security screen type stuff. We then invested in plastic tubs with good fitting lids to fit the gear: cooking box, recovery gear, spare parts, food and clothing. on bottom layer had tent fuel stove Engel fridge with pull-out table underneath and stainless steel water tank along the back of the back seat.
He also made what I call our railway carriage rack across the top of the inside of the car for turfor winch, snatchem strap etc. Under that I strung a braided clothes line so as to be able to air towels etc as we travelled.
Have had loads of comments re set up and for years we travelled this country in fine style with roof top tent plus children.
Prue
AnswerID: 566083

Reply By: Mike & Carol - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:32

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:32
We have a Lexus LX470 and installed Blackwidow with fridge slide. Excellent to securely stow things and lock up valuables such as notebook pc, camera, etc.

Means orderly storage of recovery gear and other bits and pieces as well.

One mistake I made was to get the high version - not really necessary, get the regular height. Also make sure the side panels open up for storage as well - not fixed.

Bottom line - don't skimp, remember it has to be solid and work reliably, especially if you intend to go offroad.

Good luck
AnswerID: 566084

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 20:03

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 20:03
Like Mike and Carol, we have Black Widow drawers fitted in a Lexus LX470. Can't fault them! First time I went out with home made frame with storage boxes, I patted myself on the back as to how many dollars I'd saved. The whole frame gave way on about the third sand dune on the Simpson Desert! The Black Widow drawers have travelled about 30,000km off road including thousands of kms of corrugations. We haven't had a problem and the accessibility to everything is excellent. We have fitted two 12V outlets to the back of the drawer frame behind the fold down seat. These are used for the Engel and an Inverter.

If you are skilled with a welder, then I guess you can make them but the level of finish and the thought that has gone in to design makes the price seem worthwhile

Bottom line? The drawer sets seem expensive but in the scheme of things, you will pat yourself on the back every time you just roll out the drawer. Also, on a day to day basis we use them to store things we want to leave in the vehicle, but keep out of sight.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 566085

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:01

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:01
Hello,
Its not hard to make a set but wont cost a lot less if you use the same bearings etc. These cost $5.40 each and there are about 30 in each set draw slide. I made mine due to wanting specific size to suit my tools and equipment and also built as a open ute set up. Has not fallen apart but the quality and smooth glide is not the same as outbacks equipment. If you build to the same quality you wont save much money at all. My two draws cost me $850 plus my time.

Pay someone else and get on the road sooner.

Rod
AnswerID: 566086

Reply By: Suncoasters - Sunday, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:53

Sunday, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:53
I also have a set of the Black Widow drawers, in a 100 series,and after 100,000 K's I have not been able to fault them. I also had a homemade set in an 80 series and they did not survive a trip to the cape. At the time I got mine Black Widow were selling kits which was a considerable saving, I assume they still do. I guess the old adage "you gets what you pays for" holds true in this case.

David W
AnswerID: 566087

Our Sponsors