Tasmania

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:43
ThreadID: 121878 Views:7541 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My daughter, who used to be the "ferryman" across the Pieman River, has just taken her family on a short trip around Tasmania. It sound wonderful so now i want to go, and as i take holidays in summer, it sounds like a good idea. Where can't we take the BT; i know the roads can be winding and steep in places, and that we are too big to cross the Pieman on the "fatman". How much do they charge on the ferry to get there? (We have an 18' BT with Nissan Patrol). All travellers tales from those who have been there (or live there) appreciated.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockgoc - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:45

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:45
Hi Motherhen. We lived in Tassie for 8 years in the country so feel qualified to reply. 1stly, the trip over.....if you pick the right time, it is not so bad. We travelled once on a day crossing in off peak...so no cabin fees, and that trip was around $728.00 from memory. A night crossing, same car same van with porthole cabin was pnly a little dearer at around $780.00. Another trip was on an apex fare...supposedly cheaper, but the trip was in shoulder season, cost us $1800.00 and you have to be careful that you tell them your correct overall length...we have Cruiser and 18foot van so we are 13 metres in total...they do spot checks at the gate for length and as we had forgotten to include the A frame, we were hit an extra $200.00 on the spot! The trick is to pick your time very carefully...go off peak and try to get a day crossing if they are still doing them...there was talk of them cancelling these as they lost too much money on them. I think that there are only a few day crossings in off peak, as these day crossings were supposed to be to cater for the increase in summer traffic. Things might have changed since we travelled last year. Get into their website and just explore the fares...do your homework well and you will save money.
The travelling around bit once you are there....
Once off the beaten track,if you don't mind traveleling slowly, and can put up with a long line of traffic behind you or get off the road frequently, then you have no worries. Tassie roads are very winding and there is a distinct lack of patience in some drivers..I am not saying that all drivers are impatient nuts, but they are out there. The main roads are great, and you will have a ball there, just don't forget the little out of the way places...there are some real gems hidden away on the little island. It is frosty in the mornings already there, but the days are still warm...cool by our standards. You will probably find a strange phenomenon happens to your clothes after you have been there a week or so...they shrink! This is due to the fabulous food you will find everywhere. Feel free to email us privately if you want more info, we love to promote a beautiful little treasure. Have family still there, and will be returning next year for a wedding, and I can't wait!!! (Jan)..... Easy, not so enamoured with the cold weather there as I am!
Cheers from Jan O
AnswerID: 566099

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:10

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:10
Just another bit of info for you....there's a great discussion on Tassie and trips there in the Australian Caravanning Forum website. One couple have just returned and posted a great description on what they did and also placed some great photos of a ghost town called Tarraleah, an old hydro town up in the high country.
http://groups.msn.com/AustralianCaravanning should find it.
Cheers from Jan O
FollowupID: 844453

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:57

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:57
Thanks Jan - David and Michelle from ExplorOz toured Tazzie Christmas/New Year, so i am ready Michelle's diary a bit at a time. They tent though, so inaccessability not such a problem. We like to know we can turn around before we turn down a track now. Will pick your brains if it looks like i can organise to get away. Are you still in Perth? Judy
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844454

Reply By: Tassietracker11 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:54

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:54
Hi Motherhen,

We live here in wonderful Tasmania and use our 18' BT ( without any heating!) year round.

If you wish to email me I would nbe pleased to advise you of some of the "off the track" destinations that may appeal to you.

Incidentally it is 25 c here today so no compalints about the weather.

Regards,

Tassietracker11
AnswerID: 566100

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:01

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:01
Gee - it got to 11 here today - last week it was around 40 degrees. My daughter got lovely weather on her trip week before and into Easter - rained when they got to Hobart, so saw waterfalls at their best.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 844455

Our Sponsors