18ft BT for sale

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:43
ThreadID: 121886 Views:4131 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Our one year old 18ft now for sale with new 22ft ordered. Phone Liz and David Ward on 0415744000 for details/photos.Currently in NSW/VIctoria and heading to Qland late April
Advert in current edition of caravan Trader Magazine.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 00:33

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 00:33
Liz and David

On behalf of the wannabes like myself who are probably also grasping at size issues, could you enlighten us in general why you decided to change from 18 to 22?

Is this person capacity? Larger ensuite? Bigger kitchen? Fulltime living quarters?

I realize that to some extent, the size is personal taste, what you can tow and what you want to take with you but newcomers find size a big issue as we would want to be big enough but not too big.

Alan and Barb
AnswerID: 566117

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 00:49

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 00:49
Alan & Barb,
I have no idea what their reasons for a bigger van are, but from our prospective if we had the money to upgrade we would probable go from 21 to 22 ft and change the lay out around a little so that we could have a settee that would convert into bunk beds for grand children to travel with us. We have tried taking them with us by sleeping them on a double bed made up on table area, but it didn't work & 1 had to sleep with us. Great kids but not at bed time when you want brother & sister to sleep together.

We feel that the extra foot would give us the bunk beds and still have the cupboard & bench area that we have become accustom to.

A lot also depends on what type of tow vehicle you intend using, as I believe the longer the van, the more important the longer wheel base of the tow vehicle becomes for best towing stability.

I have not found a 21ft van too big to tow. It handles like a dream on road at speed, and in the bush the main limiting factor is the width and height when negotiating tracks, not the length, as you don't make many tight turns where a longer van would track in further than a shorter one.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844458

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:30

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:30
A perspective from the Last Ranger,

Look, years ago 18' used to be the most popular size by far.... But then a shift has happened. People had such a good time in the "Bushtracker Experience" that they made it the "Bushtracker Lifestyle" ..... A part time or occasional use, turned into seasonal or full time Lifestyle for many, and now 20' and over is now the norm..

Of the now over 30 second vans we have built for people, 29 of those went larger. Some were just a bit too pensive or tentative or conservative in their initial approach, but then found that the travel mode was so good that they wanted to do it more... And for many, 18' was adequate, just not luxurious.... People have started trending toward not worrying about how long it takes to get there, and more to caring about the quality of life when they arrive.

Larger tow vehicles have also become common now, and they get better fuel economy than the mid sized like the Japanese vehicles... And with Ford coming back into the country, it is a natural trend toward a more luxurious mode of travel with larger vans... More storage, more toys, more room to have a better lifestyle, is all part of the current trend.

Cheers, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844459

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:45

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:45
hi we initally ordered a 18 footer ( there are only two of us) but after thinking hard about it & deciding on an island bed we change to a 20 footer (its due in may ) the sense of space & layout is important in different ways to different people plus we are going around the block for at least a year so space is on our adenda we intend to go a little remote so didnt want a big tow vehicle for what its worth thats our input
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566118

Reply By: 2 excampers - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 00:39

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 00:39
Reasons for change after one year.
We ordered our 18ft when we were still home owners and planned to undertake long trips. As such we designed it with 3 tanks, 3 solar etc. We then decided to take advantage of the house price peak and sold up. And what a fantastic time we are having both with seeing Australia and also with the BT.
So taking advantage of our house savings (!!) we have ordered the 22ft and are keeping almost the same layout but now have designed it to be lived in permanently for the next five plus years....5 water tanks, more solar and batteries, more storage space. Of course we have also had to sell our beloved LC 100 and have just purchased an F250 which we will need for the bigger BT but in the meanwhile tows the 18ft like there is nothing there...it is super.
So absolutely no problems with the 18ft and the temptation was there to keep it longer to 'get our money's worth' (Liz is Scottish!!) but we are enjoying life so much that there is no time like the present.
AnswerID: 566119

Our Sponsors