odours

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:06
ThreadID: 121889 Views:4618 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
after all the recent discussion on this delicate matter & the obvious problems people have plus finding out from bt that we can't install a new vacuflush type in our soon to be 20 footer (not enough room 21 minimum ) we were pleasantly suprised to find a SOG ventilation system at the sydney caravan show on the week end they are distributed by aussie traveller & cost $297 there are several different models including one for tethford they can be retrofitted they are basically a fan that vents via a hose through a charcoal filter ( no odour) & operates went you open the vent on the loo the claims is that with the increased air flow the natural digestion & break down are taken care of hence no need for chemicals by turning on the fan before you open the lid you releave the pressure ( chuckle) to the outside so no gush out of the tank into the ensuite the demo model had the vent in the tethford door but a new installation could be anywhere including through the roof
has anybody had any experience with these certainly our experience with holding tanks on boats was that provided you keep the charcoal dry & replace it every 18 months or so the vented odour was not detectable
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:14

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:14
My experience with Thetford chemical toilet is that provided you empty it within 3 days there is very little odour anyway just using the standard chemicals. I WOULD NOT FIT ANY FAN SYSTEM EVEN IF IT WAS ONLY $10 EXTRA.

When you use your toilet at home there are odours for a while and a caravan is no different. Our van has a roof hatch with fan in it, in the ensuite and this quickly removes the odours from that area. My experience with opening the hatch to allow more to enter tank is that it doesn't create any smell in van.

One thing that you need to carefully consider with fans in toilet canisters is, that if there is any way that the contents can make contact with the fan, then they would only be suitable for use in a static position.

In our van in which we make full use of the toilet when we use the van, we have found that the paper and other solids in the container get thrown up into the cap of the empting shoot, which is well out of the main storage tank. If it gets up into there while travelling than if there was a chance of making contact with the fan, it would, and the s**t would really hit the fan.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 566124

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:08

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:08
Has anyone found a toilet paper that dissolves quicker than the standard stuff?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844462

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:43

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:43
the fan is positioned well away from the oftake to the tank on the demo we saw ot was at the door so maybe 1000 of hose back to the off take the hose could be coiled into a loop so the chance of solid migration would be extremely unlikely if you went out through the roof for instance the fan would be at roof level
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 844463

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:21

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:21
Fully agree with Brian and Margaret.
We empty the toilet after three days of use and have no problems with odour. The only problem is who is to empty said container. This small job was voted to be the mans domain in our travelling time.
Lorraine
AnswerID: 566125

Follow Up By: Kingy - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 06:52

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 06:52
Lorraine, I find that a very sexist remark in this supposed age of equal opportunity and for that reason alone will make sure Lyn never reads this post...Not that she has ever taken on task but I do live in hope..
Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 844464

Follow Up By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:41

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:41
So does Phil live in hope. I did my chore with the nappies his turn now.
Lorraine
FollowupID: 844465

Follow Up By: Kingy - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:18

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:18
I'll take the Chemical loo over nappies anytime..
FollowupID: 844466

Our Sponsors