Dustproofing and cooling of canopies on F250

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 06:35
ThreadID: 121897 Views:4478 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
For all the F250 owners out there, what is done to make canopies dustproof and what is done about temperature?

I was wondering if anyone has done anything such as ducted air from cab into the canopy or has some means to pressurise the canopy to prevent dust. I have observed in general terms that canopies can have dust problems around the tailgate and that they get very hor and even more so if there is a fridge in there pumping out hot air. I guess F250 is similar when new.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I guess such problems have arisen before now and they have been solved. I am very interested to hear the range of possibilities.

Thanks

Alan and Barb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eff trucker - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:41

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:41
G'day Alan & Barb,

On front of our canopy, we have a sliding window (designed that way for access to a cab that also has a sliding window). We leave that window open a little no to help equalise pressure and although we do still get a bit of dust coming into the canopy, it has been much reduced since doing that. Others I have seen have a vent fitted to the roof of the canopy that pressurises the interior space to minimise dust. I haven't been able to get a good seal around the tailgate.

Cheers

Pete
AnswerID: 566146

Reply By: Itldoo - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:52

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:52
Hi all,
I have nothing better to do than sit in front of this computer and answer questions that need to be answered. Its great to feel needed. Many years of fitting canopies so what I do is as follows.A vent is needed to draw hot air out of canopy and create a vacuum but/// you then have to stop bull dust from being sucked in so I would put an aluminium strip about 50mm wide vertical where tailgate meets body sealed on body with silastic etc.A strip of double sided tape on tailgate side of alloy so when tailgate closes hits tape and seals.Problem solved there BUT what about horizontal where tailgate joins body of ute at bottom.This is where problem starts. Have never been fully content with solution but layers of canopy tape single sided of course to fill in gap helps. The only problem then is where bottom of door has gap between frame of door and tailgate meet. MANUFACTURE a silastic seal where rubber finishes on door to mould a seal to match the tailgate when door closes.This may not be completely dust proof but will go a long way to ease the problem. Thats it for what its worth. I wish I could just hop into the F250 and Bushtracker and GO.GO GO. See you all at Copetown.
AnswerID: 566147

Reply By: Itldoo - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:05

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:05
Sorry forgot to say leave the front sliding front window open a little to equalise pressure.
Phil.
AnswerID: 566148

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 06:48

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 06:48
We tried to dust proof the tub section of our F250 but found the tail gate the hardest. The area between the tail gate and the canopy was sealed with rubber cut and stuck into place to fill the gaps. I used tape around the tail gate which sort of worked but not fully. My next step was to fit an air flap in the roof of the canopy the same as a lot of on road caravans have fitted. We found that this keeps most of the dust out.

As for keeping the rear section cool, we haven't tried to do anything about that.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566149

Our Sponsors