Travel in Western Queensland

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 21:06
ThreadID: 121901 Views:4495 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a 2-3 month tour of Queensland west of the great divide, from the end of May.

Will probably start with Carnarvon National park, and wish to see as much of Qld as possible in the available period.

We are not fazed by dirt roads, but are not “rock climbers” in our LC100 TD (were too old for that). We appreciate good scenery and love the outback.

We are looking to our fellow Boggers for advice and recommendations of “not to miss” places, as well as places to avoid. Advice that isn’t in the glossy travel brochures.

We look forward to your feedback

Neil and Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:08

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:08
Neil and Pat
Not sure how far ranging you intend to go however here a few spots that we found interesting.

Mt Moffatt - around the back of carnarvon and very different but some great features such as Molong Arch, Kenniff Cave etc. I'd ditch the BT before you go up to the top lookout but the lookout is worth the view.

Diamantina Lakes - Try and pass through the park. It can be approached from three different directions (Winton, Bouila, Windorah) but be wary of fuel range out there. The gates where the Diamantina squeezes through a small gap is interesting as is the surrounding country.

The three corners if you are going that far. - Cameron and Haddon corners are easy for a BT but to get to Peoppel you should ditch the BT at Birdsville

Salvator Rosa NP is great for a short visit

Find little outback towns like Jundah, Adavale, etc interesting and these are not on usually routes

Have a great trip!
Alan and Barb
AnswerID: 566167

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:29

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:29
Hi Neil and Pat,
My advice is don't miss Lawn Hill NP but don't stay at Adel's Grove. Try to get into the campground at Lawn Hill if poss. Can be booked out pretty early though so best to ring ahead and make a booking.
If you are wanting to stay on the bitumen then little towns such as Quilpie (renowned for the quilpie quilts) and Tambo (teddy bears) are great little stop overs as well.
Enjoy the trip.
Prue
AnswerID: 566168

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 17:55

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 17:55
Neil & Pat,

North of Lawn Hill Natianal Park there is a camp called Kingfisher on a property called Bowthorn Station. We visited there 2 years ago on a 3 month trip through the top end and everyone thought this was one of the best camps. I understand that the property was sold recently but the web site is still in place.

Have a look here Bowthorn Station.

Also agree, don't miss Lawn Hill

Safe travels

Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566169

Our Sponsors