bike racks

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 10:38
ThreadID: 121926 Views:8267 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Can anyone give us some suggestions for the best bike rack to buy and the best positioning of same on BT?
We do NOT have the longer draw bar and most of the racks we have looked at won't fit between the gas bottles and the jockey wheel unless modified.
Need to carry 2 bikes.
Thanks
Prue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eff trucker - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:01

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:01
Hi there,

I was browsing the Kamar site looking for something on hand winches and noticed an entry about bike racks. Not sure if this configuration would suit you - but maybe worth a look. http://www.kaymar.com.au/mitschal_pbike.html

We carry two bikes on a rack that was designed to fit into the square tow hitch receiver. So we have mounted a hitch receiver between the gas bottles and the bikes hang in there just behind the stone guard. We do, however, have a 300mm extention on the draw bar. There still seems to be a lot of room though so maybe it would work with the standard length bar.

Cheers

Hope you find a fix soon

Pete
AnswerID: 566220

Reply By: The paca people - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:19

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:19
Hi Prue,
I had a 3 place "bike beak" which normally gets bolted thru the hole in a towbar tongue in place of the towball. Used it for 20 years of cycle touring in a "previous life".

Our BT came with an extended A frame carrying 2 jerry can holders. We preferred the bikes to jerry cans so cut off the jerry can holders, welded a 12 mm thick steel bar across the tranverse members put there for the jerry cans and mounted the "bike beak" infront of the gas bottles and behind the stone screen.
Works a treat with out 2 bikes.

If you would like pics the send me an email and I will dig out the didital camera.

Cheers
Martin Bunny
Bouvard W.A.
AnswerID: 566221

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:44

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:44
hi all how do you guys cope with dust on the bikes particularly the chain & gears ??? cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566222

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:24

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:24
Yea! second that!

The only way it would work is completely sealed in a bag... Imagine all the bulldust in bearings, gears, oiled chain, shifting cables, and the rest...

The best I have seen is on a roof rack out of the bull dust, or in the canopy of an F-250, 350 or such... The one that worked was complete zip up vinyl awning bags for bikes and front tyre, and what a lot of work to keep the dust out...

That is more work than me travelling with my horses.....
Cheers, from da Lone Ranger....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844508

Our Sponsors