bulldust

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:18
ThreadID: 121938 Views:4794 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On our recent trip around Australia we got dust in through the back window and every other orifice.So did our travelling companions who also own a bushtracker .We stopped it coming in through door vent with a strip of sponge between the water tight door and the door. We also put some cardboard up in the hatch which was reasonably effective. Also put silastic in all the openings around the pipes. Got heaps of dust through the back window and so did the other bushtracker.We went on many dirt roads in the NT, WA and SA. Both of us found that you can't brush it out of the hinge,there is never a hose on the dirt tracks and certainly never compressed air when you want it.If you stay in a caravan park in those areas,very few will let you use their precious bore water to wash your caravan.There would be at least two kilos of dust on and around the rear bumper. Both of us ended up with partially jammed rear windows and found that the only way to stop dust coming in the window was to seal the closed window including the hinge with tape and leave it that way until you have finished travelling on the dirt roads. You get used to the dust after a while!
We think that the only way to keep the dust out would be to positvely pressurise the van with a pop up air scoop and filter.Obviously being able to easily close it when it is raining.

PS Has anyone heard anything about LP gas fuel cells.

Di and Ron

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:13

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:13
Not sure of the details but several Bushtrackers I know have now fitted an air scoop at the back of the roof which directs air flow across the back of the van and keeps the window, ledge etc dust free.

All reports I have heard to date have been very positive, but I can't remember who was supplying the scoop. Any helpers?
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566251

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:26

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:26
Noosa Bushtrackers have a dust deflector on the back of their van and find it helps stop the dust build up on the back of the van.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 844521

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 00:44

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 00:44
The wind deflector on the back of the van is excellent and prevents the dust from building up on the rear. Additionally it breaks the vacuum that occurs in the back of the van.

The deflectors are installed by Conrad's son-in-law at their property in Coomera.

Luvntravln
AnswerID: 566252

Follow Up By: Hourglass belly up - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:27

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:27
On Monday, May 10, 2004 at 23:12
tgintl posted about WIND DEFLECTOR - (PostID: 806)
The post

This is an earlier post by Jay taken from our previous Forum that adds some further useful information.
John & Cristina

Hi For those interested in the WIND DEFLECTOR that has been discussed in various threads, I have put a diagram in the photo album that I received from the manufacturer with the following explanation: "I have attached a drawing of the WIND DEFLECTOR on the van to show the measurements needed for the antenna and top lights. If your antenna is closer to the edge than 200mm we will need to make a cut out in the DEFLECTOR for it. If your top lights are higher than 1350mm from your bottom lights then you will need to move these lower before we are able to
fit the DEFLECTOR. The length of the DEFLECTOR will be 2280mm, if you would like to check. We have found that this is the standard for the newer vans." tgintl/jay
FollowupID: 844522

Reply By: Hourglass belly up - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:23

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:23
On Monday, March 22, 2004 at 09:32
NoosaBushtrackers posted about WIND DEFLECTORs available for BT Vans - (PostID: 707)
The post

This is a post extracted from our old Forum (The Forum that apparently some now claim is full of muck) that might assist.
John & Cristina

If Bushtracker owners would like to have the rear of their vans kept almost completely dust free when travelling on dusty outback roads, then a WIND DEFLECTOR made completely from Stainless Steel is now available. Conrad and Niza had had one fitted on their van for over 3 years and found that it does really work, so they wanted to ensure that their new van now under construction will also have one fitted. I have just travelled 1000km with Conrad over mostly good roads and the rear of my van was dirty while Conrads was clean. The WIND DEFLECTORs will be available in Polished Stainless Steel or White Powder Coated Stainless Steel for $450. The price includes fitting by the maker at their property at Coomera, on Queenslands Gold Coast just behind Dreamworld. The caravan will be required to stay at their property for 24 hours after fitting to allow the adhesive to cure. You can stay in your van, or take a look around the Gold Coast during the day after fitting. Anyone interested in having one fitted to their van should contact Tony or Lidia on (07) 5573 2180 or by e-mail on lwold@bigpond.com The attached photo shows a Stainless Steel finished model that is the first proto-type one fitted to Tony and Charn Turners van this weekend. They will be giving it a good test next month when they head off into the outback of NT and WA. My one will be fitted next month, and Conrad will have one fitted to his new van when completed. As the width of the BT vans can vary depending on cladding type, Tony will require the exact width of your van between the side edge moulding. Brian
AnswerID: 566253

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:49

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:49
hi so a year & a bit since the posting does the deflector work does it cope with the problem of dust accumulation in the hinge does it affect fuel consumption is he price still current ????? cheers
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 844523

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 19:15

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 19:15
I'm a campertrailer at the moment , but lurking here as I intend to 'upgrade' (or downgrade :-)) one day.
1. Rear window: why not build the caravan without one if its a perennial problem ?
2. LPG Fuel cells : rumour I've heard is that they will be available in 12 -18 months, cost c$1000, use 1kg gas to put 1000 watts in your battery over 10 hours or so.

Cheers,
Brad.
AnswerID: 566254

Our Sponsors