Box On A frame.

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:00
ThreadID: 121960 Views:4295 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Fellow Boggers,
Picked up the new baby last week,really happy with the way it turned out. I want to install an alloy box on the A frame for a honda eu2 generator and a couple of jerry cans. I find there is not as much room as i thought because of the room required to remove the spare wheels and the location of the jockey wheel when folded up.
A couple of ways to solve the problem could be to set the box up to slide to either side when required and remove the jockey wheel when on the move.
Any comments or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:18

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:18
We have done the same thing, placing the aluminium box back close to the spare tyres (my husband assures me we can still get them out, and the gas bottles tucked between them). Our A frame is the short version. We have a jack at the front of the A frame, and i think could find room for a jockey wheel if we have difficulty coupling up, to give us a bit of movement. We have just fitted an AT35. The front of the box opens to upright position with gas struts, and box has 2 compartments with slide outs. The generator is mounted in one side, and can slide out and be run in situ. The other side takes 2 x 10 litre jerrycans and the oil can. The shadecloth stoneguard has been removed, but we will remake it as an easily removed guard in front of the generator box. We don't use the genny very often - just got it to run the air con occasionally when we went on holidays in January. Please contact me through member message if you want to compare notes further. Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566306

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 03:33

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 03:33
Another option is to have the box hinged at the front so that it can sit just in front of the spare wheels and tilt forward on those ocassional times when you have to change a wheel or gas cylinder. The back of the box can be secured with 2 of the adjustable type clips that put more pressure on as you push them down. (Similar to those used on some tie down straps.)
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844544

Reply By: Homeboy - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 07:37

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 07:37
Hi Ian congrats on your new van we're still waiting for ours and the excitement is killing us! Anyway we have been busy setting up our rig and have had loads of help from RTC4X4 which are next door to Sound in Motion - they have the best alloy checker plate boxes we have seen around as they have a lip and a rubber seal around the opening. They have been tested by dropping them into a tank of water with no leaks afterwards. You can get the boxes made to measure which is our plan as we will wait and see what room we have to play with once we get out van.

We have found the people in RTC will go out of their way to help you so we can't fault them on their service so far.

Good luck and I hope to see you out on the road soon enough.

Sasha
AnswerID: 566307

Follow Up By: FTP TRACKERS - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 03:00

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 03:00
Hi Everyone,
Thanks to Motherhen, Brian&Margaret and Sasha for your replies. Have come up with a box design that i hope will work.When i ordered and extended Aframe i thought i would have tons of room to play with,however because i am using a WDH the jockey wheel has to be moved back on the Aframe so that when it is folded up for travel it comes back fairly close to the spare wheels. The only way i can overcome this problem is to remove the jockey wheel while traveling. Also found removal of the spare wheel requires a fair amount of room so will have to have a box that i can slide to either side when required.
Hope to catch up with some of you folks at Copeton.

Regards Ian.
FollowupID: 844545

Our Sponsors