Filling Water Tanks - the fast way.

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:23
ThreadID: 121961 Views:4233 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A suggestion for faster/easer method of filling water tanks.

Take a short (30-60cm) length of garden 12mm diameter hose.

On one end fit a snap lock connector with a male to male adapter or fit a 12mm hose fitting with a snaplock male connector.

The other end cut it at an angle (makes it "pointed" and easer to get in the hole). With electrical tape, wrap a "taper" running away from the end starting at aprox 50-60 mm from the end. Finish the tapered wrap at a diameter larger than the hole in the filler the taper is approx 25-30 mm long.

Now fit this to your normal garden hose, insert the pointed end in the filler and push home the taper to "jam" the hose in the filler.

If you've got the taper correct you can now turn on your hose at a high rate with no back wash at the filler. The air in the tank is expelled through the tanks breather and it fills in no time. Water is expelled through the breather when the take is full as per usual.

Regards

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 00:33

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 00:33
SORRY RICHO,
NOT TO STEP ON YOUR TOES, BUT NO-NO.....!!!!!!!!
Since there have been 53 viewings of this before I could address it, I have a fresh posting TIP # 36 just now on to catch them before they do any damage.... This splits water tanks, blows a fitting, or breaks a seam, just a matter of time as the tank gets pressurised as it fills.... It swell way up and stresses it until a seam or something fails... Maybe not the first, or the tenth time, but it will happen... Particularly when the tank gets full and the vent spurts water....

Cheers from the Ranger at Bushtracker
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566308

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 03:27

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 03:27
Couldn't agree more with Steves Comments.

We were at a friends place and he was having all kinds of trouble getting water into his tanks, and decided to connect a high pressure hose into the system and fill it that way. It appeared to be working until his wife yelled out that the floor of the van was lifting as the water pressure was swelling the tank up.

A check found that mud waspes had built nests in the vent pipes and as no air could be vented, the tanks would not fill by using the normal filler pipe.

What I and several others have to fill the tanks is a clear plastic tube cut on one end on an angle to go into filler hole easier, and on the other an in line irrigation on off tap, before a clip lock fitting to go into the water hose. You can regulate the flow of water with the in line tap so that it has just the right amount of flow to prevent the over flow affect.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844546

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 02:20

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 02:20
I have no comment on the pros or cons of filling a water tank via a 'high pressure' system.
My comment is only that I am meticulous in using 'food grade' hosing at ALL times to fill the tanks. I use a food grade hose connected to a carbon / ceramic filter which I then connect to a short length of food grade plastic tubing into my water tank (which incidentally typically only fills the tank very slowly as the filter adds a lot of resistance into the circuit).
I believe, though I have little objective evidence, that always using food grade hosing contributes to good tasting water in the tanks.
Cheers,
Brad.
AnswerID: 566309

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 13:46

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 13:46
Hello Brad,
You are soooooo right! We used to get a white food grade hose just like a garden hose from the RV Capitol of the world, the U.S.A..... But supply dried up.... Those green garden hoses deliver YUK tasting water.

I have also been told that the severe plastic taste from garden hoses in the sun, is delivering a carcinogen to you, as the plastic releases it in the UV solar.... Bad....

I am suffering right now from "New Van Itus" with the plastic taste in new tanks that eventually wears off... I need to fill, leave a few days, and drain the tanks a few times to get rid of it... I have heard of vinegar, baking soda, chlorine, and other treatments to get rid of the plastic taste, but after the hassle of the soaking treatments I am not sure too much ground is gained... It just is a break in period...

On the hose, our white food grade re-inforced hose for our water systems is available Australia wide... In the absence of a good RV water hose, I suggest you make you own, adding fittings to it.... I am going to. It has just enough fiber reinforcing to make it a bit stiff and non kinking, but a little hard to coil.... However there is DEFINITELY a taste savings and maybe a health benefit to bother with it.... Most people just use the garden variety and let it run for a while... But, the white food grade type reinforce hose is definitely better...

Cheers, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844547

Reply By: Itldoo - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:50

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:50
Hi All,
Dont know what all the fuss is about.Drink more alcohol.
Phil
AnswerID: 566310

Our Sponsors