Jerry cans and Jerry can Holders

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 05:09
ThreadID: 121973 Views:9180 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am about to add two diesel jerry cans to the BT and need some advice.

I have read Steves posting 5/4/05 on this subject and accept Steves logic on black plastic jerry cans.
However the only ones I can find so far have small openings that would not be big enough to accept the “fast-fill” diesel nozzles.

How do you get on filling the black jerry cans, or does anyone know where you can get them with decent openings?

The yellow jerry cans labelled ‘Diesel’ have a large opening for this purpose. Maybe I should buy the yellow ones and spray paint them flat black?

Holders

What is the best type of jerry can holders to fit to the A-frame of the BT?
Folded galvanised sheet metal boxes or fabricated 30x5mm flat bar holders?
We have the standard length A-frame, and will need to extend the stone deflector arms to accommodate the jerry cans.

Any advice?

Neil And Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 18:49

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 18:49
Before we had the extra fuel tank fitted to the F250, I did a trip to WA using black Jerry Cans for extra fuel. The small holes were a problem that we overcame by using a funnel when only the larger truck fill nozzle was available. If you have jerry cans with 2 openings, they will still fill reasonably quickly that way using 1 opening as a vent.
Most service stations either have a slow fil only, or a combination of slow and fast fills. It is only the dedicated truck stops that I have found, like Penong, that only have fast fills.

I like to have some rubber padding between the fuel can and the metal holder, but this sometime becomes a problem with the holders not being large enough to fit any.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 566344

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:34

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:34
Hello Neil and Pat,
I travelled with my "budget long range tanks" of five of the black plastic "Rheem" fuel cans for many years.... Still have about a dozen of them... Anyway, I always found that the service stations had a slow fill nozzle, that fits them just fine!!! Most vehicles will not take the fast fill big rig nozzles, as they have too high of a flow rate for the vents.... Splatter you or keep clicking off... The "slow fill" ones work just fine.

And now the new Rheem black fuel cans have two larger fillers, and one for a vent and one for filler the same size... Not a worry.... Last saw them at K-Mart sort of places for about $25...

Cheers, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566345

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 20:57
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Have been in touch with Rheem, who advised that they have sold the Jerry can business to Visy. Talked to the product manager at Visy who said that they only make the Jerry cans with the small openings and have no immediate plans to revise their production. However they will investigate the need for a larger opening, and could offer this sometime in the future.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

FollowupID: 844558

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 22:44

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 22:44
Hello again Neil,
I just checked mine, as I have 10 here.. And the filler neck is definitely large enough for a normal diesel nozzle... In truth you could not fill them with the Big Rig fast delivery nozzle anyway without getting drenched with diesel.... Anyway, they work well, and accept the normal diesel pump head of servo stations.......

Kind Regards, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566346

Our Sponsors