Satellite TV

Submitted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 06:53
ThreadID: 121986 Views:7778 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone recommend the satellite system on offer from Sound in Motion, we are highly tempted to have one fitted with 2 youngsters in tow touring around of Oz but are still weighing up whether it is really worth it considering how much they cost.

Any thoughts?

Roy and Sasha
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:48

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:48
We carry a Satellite System and don't even have youngsters to help justify it! It's one of those "It cost a bit, but we're glad we did it" type extras.

I can't find any details of the Sound in Motion offer, but if you can provide some, I'm happy to comment
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566371

Reply By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 19:41

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 19:41
hi roy & sasha whats the offer from s&m ive been following leads on various systems they range from $1800 to around $700-800 talk to cobra dave he is very knowledgeable on this subject & puts together a system with no profit & offers all the advice you need this is one of those aresa where prices have tumbled with the advance of technology & numbers of retailer in the market certainly the abrolga whilst a very good system seems expensive in the market place, they probably need to maintain this price so there is sufficent margin for resellers

if you search this & other site you will find lotsa leads cheers
Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 566372

Reply By: AlanDi - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:38

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:38
Hi Roy & Sasha,
CobraDave's site is "http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/sattv4caravans/"
Cheers
Alan
AnswerID: 566373

Reply By: The Boondockers - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 01:28

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 01:28
CobraDave just fitted one to my van and another to my house. I am very pleased with the results. The mount is on a lightweight aluminium pole attached to my A-frame, up high, so people cant knock it. Cost a lot less than the kits supplied by retailers.
Highly recommend you contact Dave.
I cant wait to test it out on my next trip.
Rosco
AnswerID: 566374

Reply By: Homeboy - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 06:17

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 06:17
Thanks for the replies everyone the one that we have thought about was the $6000 -$7000 Smartsat system that has a satellite built into the van and automatically scans for the satellites rather than you having to stand outside with a compass trying to find the right spot.

A lot of money for a telly at the end of the day but the jury is still out :o)

Sasha

AnswerID: 566375

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 06:38

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 06:38
Forget the telly and work on having some more kids to help keep you in a life of luxury in your BT.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844567

Follow Up By: Motley - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 07:53

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 07:53
I've just had a look at the Smartsat Web Site.

Firstly, I'll declare my situation. We have been using an Abrolga system for the past 2 years and find it easy to set up and haven't experienced any problem.

The system you mentioned weighs 18kgs. I'd be concerned as to how aroof mounted 18kg Satellite Receiver System would cope with say, 500km of corrugated road. I know that another supplier of roof mounted satellite systems was having trouble with this issue.

Secondly, if the system is roof mounted, then you have to consider the location where you park the van every time you stop. With ours, we park the van on the level, scenic, spot we want and then worry about where we psoition the dish.

Thirdly, whilst it's great to have access to some TV via satellite, I've got to be honest and say that we don't watch it nearly as much as we expected. Usually, the places we have camped in our BT have provided an environemnet that beats the hell out of TV. I know that with kids, there's an extra consideration. But that's what DVDs are for.

A bit more grist for the mill!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

FollowupID: 844568

Our Sponsors