Tip # 39, New Ford F-250 Stolen: 2 Simple Things You can do for Prevention…

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:32
ThreadID: 121990 Views:3868 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
For all Owners of customized Tow Vehicles: Mine is irreplaceable, in that it is so rare and so customized… A Mack 4x4 Dual Cab horse truck…. But funny, I felt the same way about my F-350 7.3 litre Diesel Dual Cab, as it was before Ford came back into the country, and it was a full import from Texas.. And funny, but I felt the same way about my stretched Toyota Crew Carrier years ago.. Ha! You probably feel the same about your fully customised tow vehicle as well….

Well, a Bushtracker Customer’s brand new F-250 was just stolen only two weeks old !!! I am sure they thought their horse was the best looking, smartest, most loyal, best friend, good looking too!!! It can be quit disconcerting and inconvenient for this to happen…

A good idea, so you don’t worry about your horse being there after you get through with four hours in the Stockman’s Hall of Fame, or two hours in that cave system, or a day out fishing…… Is to make it so it is pretty much “un-steal-able”… Now there are a variety of electronic immobilisers, but I always had doubts about Professionals maybe knowing how to get around some of them…. I have no comment there, as I am sure some work… But.. I know what does work for sure…. PRIMARY 1: A hidden fuel shutoff for a Diesel… Even if they get through the electronic immobiliser, they will only get about a block or two before the engine dies and needs a full bleeding of injection system before starting up again… No matter how brave the Thief, he is not going to pop the bonnet and break out a tool kit; He just going to curse, and cut and run…. And if the fuel shut off is hidden out of sight somewhere, you can rest assured your horse will be where you left him or only a short distance away… ALSO NUMBER 2: A hidden kill switch somewhere on the truck, that trips the electronic ignition or the fuel solenoid depending on the vehicle… The combination of 1 and 2 is practically invincible! Mind you, my alarm system calls my mobile phone… But not out Bush… I want the truck just where I left it… Most places you would leave a rig are somewhat Public and they cannot strip it there, they have to steal the Rig and go to somewhere private to do their dirty work…

Just turn a hidden petcock in the fuel supply line somewhere, and a hidden kill switch, and your horse cannot be stolen… I have lived with this system with unique 4x4’s for about 30 years or more with them parked at Showgrounds, Marinas, strange public places where a person might worry if they came out in the middle of the night from the movie or restaurant and their prized beast was going to be there or not.. Even scarier out Bush where the sudden thought hit coming back in from some exploring with tired horses and kids.. That whoa! Would I be in a pickle if someone stole my Rig to strip it somewhere else!!!

There are other security measures, but this is a simple and somewhat infallible system that would discourage even the dedicated thief.. As this one was with the F-250…. Obviously stalked the new Ford to find the time right…. Might have even had a spare Dealer key or something… But if like in my Mitsubishi truck, I lifted a bit of rubber in the wheel well to a hidden spot, and turned a valve. Might get my hands dirty a bit, but it only too 30 seconds, and I had a good feeling that my horse would be there when I came back.!!

One step further and you make the valve handle removable, leaving the nut off, to store the handle somewhere else… Then most people would not recognize it, even if they found it…!!! That is pan-ultimate, and what I do....

Another crazy idea from “The Source”
Cheers from da Lone Ranger…..

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:52

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:52
Unless a tow truck was used to steal the F250, I doubt that they could move it without having the key, as the gear shift is locked in Park until the ignition is turned to the "on" position. As you said the theif may have had a spare dealer key.

My F250 has an after marker immobiliser fitted so they would also have to over come that as well as the gear lock.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566383

Follow Up By: Dusky - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:17

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:17
Brian,

What brand of aftermarket immobiliser have you fitted? It is a concern leaving a vehicle in an isolated area while off exploring/fishing etc.

Best regards,

Chris and Sue
FollowupID: 844570

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:45

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:45
You are right Brian, he could have had a Dealer key.... But I do know, the Professional Criminals have their own R & D, and have ways to get around things like gear shift locks and electronic immobilisers.... When in gets into the big buck league of stripping cars for expensive parts, the organised crime element has gotten sophisticated...

I guess that is why I developed these two "hidden non-sophisticated" methods of preventing theft of my vehicle, years ago... They have found ways to get around the security systems just about as soon as they are invented... But not sure most would be able to breach a hidden fuel shut off.

Kind Regards, Bushtracker
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844571

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 03:31

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 03:31
Chris,
Sorry cannot remember the brand name, but I think it was something like Terminator. As the previous vehicle was insured with RACV at the time they insisted that the F250 be fitted with an immobiliser at that time and they nominated the only brand that they would accept to give us an insurance cover.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844572

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 03:39

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 03:39
Dusky, we had an immobiliser fitted by Sound in Motion. Not very dear from memory and well worth the investment.

Contact Brian Bugenhagen and tell him Angie sent you!!

LOL
AnswerID: 566384

Reply By: Dusky - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 20:13

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 20:13
Brian/Angie,

Thankyou for the replies. I will follow up.

Best regards,

Chris

39 days to go and currently getting the B.A.T.T.S such as adrenaline rush when thinking about my BT (and any other BT), extreme trembling due to too much exposure to BT plans specifications and option requirements over the past few months as well as being able to accurately recite BT specs and options lists while asleep, driving the car to work and at meal times.
AnswerID: 566385

Reply By: Fosssil - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:00

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:00
Hi...Pending new BT owner here...

Many years ago I had a custom vehicle that I was petrified would be stolen so I devised a fuel shutoff that comprised of a magnetically operated reed switch that triggered a solenoid switch in the fuel line...so that if the magnet that was either hidden in the vehicle or in my pocket was not placed at the certain flat horizontal spot on the console, the vehicle would not run...or would run for only 100 meters max...
As far as the magnet falling off goes.... that was taken care of by placing it so that it fitted exactly in a certain spot and would not move unless physically removed..... but it could also be placed in a special spot anywhere on the vehicle.

I hope that gives some folks a few ideas...I do remember that it was very cheap to do at the time.

regards,
foss
AnswerID: 566386

Our Sponsors