Tip # 40, 12 Pin Plug Tests for Camera, Reversing Lights and Possibly Charging….

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 19:21
ThreadID: 121996 Views:3914 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello "Boggers to be" in the planning stages... I am happy with the results on my latest testing on the “Plug”. This 12 pin plug has a large 5 pin part and a smaller 7 pin part…. It seems to work well on two trips with my lastest test van..... This latest one seems a better unit.. There is an added advantage besides the ability to have LED or normal backup lights (reversing lights) on the caravan, in that you do not have to have a separate plug for the reversing camera on the back anymore. Could even add to the charging system and possibly do away with Anderson Plugs for some applications… It can all run on the 12 pin plug…. For any of you in planning it is now an option, all or part…

Mind you it is not necessary, if you already have the multiple plugs, there is no drama and probably not worth the effort to change it over... I would just stick with what you have right now..

If you request it when you Order, we will install it at no charge….

If you want to change it over as an afterthought, we would have to charge for it to cover costs…

Kind Regards, da Ranger at Bushtracker
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:23

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:23
Hi Steve,

What brand of plug is it?

I had you fit a 12-pin Britax plug to our BT over twelve months ago. Is this the same, or an improvement on the plastic Britax.

This has been trouble-free, except that originally the housing on the plug was put on upside-down.It still worked OK but the plugs safety catch didn't engage. It fell out at Mungo NP last year. (Now fixed).

Having the camera go through the plug would alert you to this happening, however we use a separate plug for the camera.

Just something to check!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566409

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:52

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:52
Hello Neil,
It is in fact the Britax, and I don't know if it has been improved in the interim or not... We never gave it a serious consideration before because of two things:

1) We never thought that the coax cable Reversing Camera Video input would work well in that sort of a plug.... Without signal degradation... The experiment suprised all...

2) The LED backup light technology had not been affordable until recently and so we did not need more pins in the plug...

Now we have both of these conditions, but I still like the robustness of the standard metal plug and socket, and will change if we find a 12pin one like that... But for now, all we have is the Britax plastic one..
Cheers.
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844589

Our Sponsors