Snow / Mud Chains

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:52
ThreadID: 122011 Views:4016 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have seen snow / mud chains advertised ,wondering if they will get us out of a 'sticky' situation,eg getting caught on the grey clay river flats of the Darling River Road. We have fitted all -terrain tyres, as we travel on all types of roads and don't enjoy the noise of mud tyres on sealed roads.
We appreciate that chains require very low speed,and would only use them as a recovery option.
Has anyone had experience with them towing?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 09:46

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 09:46
No idea!

I haven't used them, but when in Europe years ago, in some areas roads were signed that you had to have snow chains. I thought it to prevent skidding - not to climb out of the bog.

Being typical Aussies who find roads signs a challenge, we took our camper van with it's little English tyres over a snowy mountain pass between Switzerland and Italy quite successfully without them.

We've fitted a winch to the Patrol in case of boggy moments.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566486

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:35

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:35
As most of the roads that you would be buying the chain to use on are usually closed after rain and have very heavy fines for driving on them when closed, I think I would just sit and wait for the road to dry out.

Having said that the snow chains would assist greatly to give traction, so long as you didn't dig yourself in too deep and belly out. BUT they would make one hell of a mess of the road or track that you used them on and the local authorities would be out to hang you if they caught you.

Have you considered carrying an air bag that can lift the wheels out of the mud while you place branches etc under it to give traction. The airbag could then be used in any number of situations.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566487

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:11

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:11
I have two sets now, and in the past have used them for at least 30 years... High Sierras to Idaho in the mountains in snow and such... And I have news for you, once you are stuck in the muck, it is a nightmare to get them on. In my opinion and there is no definative scientific answer so this is just an opinion: They are not worth buying or worth the weight of dragging them around with you and for the far and away majority of people... Not because they do not work well in the mud... But because you cannot use them very often as tears up the ground like a Catepiller tracked vehicle.... Serious digger like a little tank track...

In most places it would be illegal or undesireable to use them, do to the extreme cut. So mine are for an extremely rare situation and they stay home for all my trips... So in a word for mud, No for most... Too heavy and too rare of possible use.

But snow and ice, yes of course, mandatory probably to get into the snowed out mountain pass at times... But I have no experience in the snow and legal road use here...

Cheers, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566488

Reply By: dagsy - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 00:47

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 00:47
Chains are excellent for mud and would get you out of trouble although the BT would be sliding all over the place in those conditions and as most have said chains make a mess of the road or track and are heavy dirty things to stow,far better to set up the BT and wait a coulpe of days for the track to dry out then your on your way again.,
In most cases it only takes a short time for the road to dry out once the rain stops in that country.
AnswerID: 566489

Our Sponsors