Dead refrigerators Post 1611

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 20:11
ThreadID: 122021 Views:3995 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On reading Steves reply to Lucky Boggers storage requests and potential refrigerator problems with food spoilage, this could help if you get this problem.

Abour ten years ago, we lost power to our refrigerator at our weekender. On our next visit you could smell it before the back door was unlocked.

Very unpleasant to bury the dead contents. The smell left in the frig was unbearable -- it was dead!.

I was in town the next day seeking help to find a regrigeration person, when I happened to find an old-timer at the local hardware store who gave me the following advice.

Fill the frig with fresh gumleaves, keep the doors closed and renew the leaves every few days.

Being a weekender 2 hours from home, we only got to repeat this procedure every two weeks or so.

After a couple of months the smell was completely gone, and we contiued to use the frig until we sold the house 18 months ago. (The new owners also bought the frig)

SO do not necessarily throw out your frig if this happens. Use some patience and you will be rewarded.

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:58

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:58
Now that sounds like a better smell than a bucket of bleach!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 566511

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 20:57
We have used Fridge Vanilla spray that is available in supermarkets that seems to work reasonably well, but probably not on the sort of odour that Steve was talking about.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844629

Our Sponsors