5.0 Litre Landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 00:49
ThreadID: 122033 Views:4410 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recall a rumour some months back that Toyota may have been experimenting with a 5.0 litre turbo diesel Landcruiser.

Does anyone have any updated information on whether this might be on the drawing boards?

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:21

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:21
Phil
Believe the rumour was a 4.4litre twin turbo V8 diesel, but I've heard nothing since. Wouldn't hold your breath though. I've been thinking about getting Brunswick Diesel in WA to put 6.5 litre V8 diesel in for a while now-maybe when I'm over there next year? Mate had conversion done not long ago-fantastic. I had a drive and was very impressed. Changing gears becomes optional, take whats normally 2nd or 3rd gear corner in 5th and pulls away effortlessly.

BTW, my guess for a Toyota V8 would be lotsa lotsa dollars, electonic everything and fully independent suspension. Read somewhere the next patrol will have fully independent suspension also. Rigid axles will only be in museums (and under my Troopy!)

Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 566525

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 23:35

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 23:35
Matt,
I did considerable research in the 6.2 and 6.5 V-8 Diesel conversions for Landcruiser....Over about two years... In my office is still a picture of my last Troopy, as I am fond of them and owned three....

I can get into details of my research and the followup of the past 25 or so Bushtracker Owners that did it.... But the short of it is that it runs through the Toyota transmissions in short order, has cooling problems to overcome, has firewall problems, and in general costs some big dollars.... I finally abandoned the effort, and bought a Ford... The truth is that for all the work and money and problems, I am not sure it is worth the effort... Even some of the people that have done it have abandoned it in favour of the longer wheelbase of the Ford, Chevy, or Dodge trucks... Hard to abandone the love of the Tojo, but in the end it may be more cost effective, at least that is what I determined...

Many Customers put far more in, and had to continue to modify and experiment, in coverting the Toyota... Even one did it with a Discovery! Most ended up spending over $20,000 after all the added modifications they were not expecting, air conditioning, transmissions, etcetera...

Kind Regards from the Ranger at Bushtracker....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844639

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 02:00

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 02:00
They do a 4.7 litre v8 - but not in diesel
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566526

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:46

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:46
G'day Phil,
There was a report in 4x4AUSTRALIA (February 05) of the 130 Series Cruiser with a 4.4litre, twin turbo, common rail V8 diesel (220kw and 580Nm) either with existing 5 speed manual of 100 series, or a version of the 6 speed manual in the current prado. A possible addition could be a six speed tiptronic auto that Japanese manufacturer Aisin makes for the VW Touareg. (The latter has a 5 litre V10 which produces 330kw and 750Nm !!...but unfortunately the chassis can only have 170kg ball weight, even though it is rated to tow 3500kg.) Hope the 130 series can do better than that! It will apparently have a new chassis called the "F platform" with double wishbone front suspension and a four link, coil suspension at the rear, similar to the 100 series. Although the magazine reports that it won't be in production 'til January 2007, my Toyota dealer seems to think it will be on the market in Australia late in 2006.
The rumour that the new Ford F series will have it's turning circle reduced by 5 metres is of interest, as is the new 'common rail' smaller diesel engine.
We'll have to wait and see.....

Cheers..........Rob

AnswerID: 566527

Our Sponsors