Broken switch

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 23:54
ThreadID: 122042 Views:3284 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know where we can obtain a switch for a Fiamma 2way fan which was installed by Bushtracker in the ceiling of the ensuite of our van built in Oct 2000 - January 2001?
We have contacted Fiamma in Italy and they want E 45,00 which I assume means 45 euro?? That seems a lot.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 02:05

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 02:05
Sound like they want to sell you a whole new ceiling fan set up. I think it was about $75 Aust to have it installed when we bought our van in 2001
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566536

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 03:02

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 03:02
Yeah!
Brian is right,
1 Euro for the switch and 44 Euro for their pocket... Heck for that price they could give you the whole hatch to salvage the switch out of !!!

Look, the wiring is all there. Get a friendly handy hobby person to make up a little bracket and two way switch... Not too hard I promise... A suitable switch is only a couple of dollars at somewhere like Dick Smiths..

At least that is what I suggest....
Kind regards from da Ranger....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566537

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:42

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:42
FOLLOWUP AND AFTERTHOUGHT, TECHNICALS ON HOW TO DO IT:
For any of you out there that may want to experiment.....
The little DC Motor on these units, and for that matter almost all DC motors will run in reverse by changing the polarity of the wiring...

In other words, the fan runs one way wired with terminals positive, negative, and switch those to the same terminals but negative, positive, and it will run in reverse as in fan blowing air out or reversed sucking air in.... OK so far?

Next step if you want to play, is the switch to do that. You pick up a "Double Pole- Double Throw" switch, rated over the amperage of the motor, say double the amount at least... In other words, most of those fans might pull an amp, so a 5 amp or even better a 10 amp... Specify 12volt so they know what you mean in amps, but it should be very Inexpensive... Now how it works is it has six terminals, "Double Pole" means it has two centre hookup points for positive and negative in this case.. And "Double Throw" means it switches to two more points in each direction....ON-OFF-ON.... OK so far? Now that can mean turning on two different pieces of equipment per say, but in this case it can mean changing the polarity switched one way or the other - to the motor, and the opposite switched to the other way to the motor to change it's direction... OK?

Cheers from Bushtracker....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566538

Our Sponsors