Delivering the Goods

Submitted: Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 00:01
ThreadID: 122050 Views:4024 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Home to pack up the house after a 10,000 Km round trip to collect the new BT home on wheels. Gave the rig a good workout whenever we could escape the highways and get onto the byways and station tracks. We didn't see another caravan park after leaving the Sunshine Coast and had some fabulous bush camps. No dust, no problems and tows very well even without the WDH fitted (that will go on this week). The only thing that got loose was a couple of bayonet light fittings which should be pretty easy to rectify and a few flies - (they were bad around Jasper Gorge in the NT). Test Drive conclusions......... Highly recommended and just magic !!

John and Jean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 05:12

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 05:12
Good to hear from another satisfied customer.
It sure makes live easy when you are towing you motel around behind you.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566563

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:02

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:02
What routes did you take on the way home?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 566564

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:53
Hi Motherhen,
I will post the route and campsites etc as soon as I am organised. Cheers
John
FollowupID: 844661

Reply By: But n ben - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:30

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:30
Hi John and Jean,
Like Motherhen, we would be interested in the locations of your 'bush-camps' for our next trip north. Must be so satisfying not to have to go into a caravan park, from the Sunshine Coast, to all the way home.
Glad to hear that the initial run was 'Magic' How did you get on with the petrol/LPG combo? I've just traded my Patrol, with the same fit as yours, for a TD LC 100, so it does not affect me, but someone out there might be interested.
Only approx 5 weeks to our pick-up, and only 20 kms to do on our first run.

Don and Vicki.
AnswerID: 566565

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:01
Hi Don and Vicki,
I will post the route etc when I get organised. The van towed very well on LPG - in fact I cannot tell the difference between petrol and gas when towing. She does 3.0 to 3.5 kms/litre when towing on gas atv 85 k/hr, compared to 4.5 - 5.0 when not towing. Not sure what the petrol consumption is yet - about 5 k/l when not towing. Once I have made sense of all the collected data I will post it. The best measure is, in my opinion cents per kilometre as this is the only thing that hits the wallet.

I am glad I made the decision to go gas/petrol. Whilst the cruiser may be a bit more pedestrian up the long hills - who cares, I'm not in a hurry. Its a pleasure to fill up the gas tank in the Sunshine Coast and get get a bill of about $40!

Cheers John and Jean.
FollowupID: 844662

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 21:29

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 21:29
Hi John & Jean
Great to hear you have had such a good trip home. 10,000ks you would have to be from WA like us. We have 10 weeks to pick up and have already planned the trip over and back with lots of different tracks, bush camps and no CPs. Coming out of North West WA it is easy to get off the black top. In short we will go across the top using the Duncan, Buntine and Buchanan Highways(?) and then across the Barkly and down through QLD the back way. After pickup it will be up to Millaa Millaa via the coast and then out across the Gulf to Norminton and down to Mt Isa.
Then we will take the easy way to Alice Springs via the Barkly. After a few days R&R We will head out across the Tamami Track to Halls Creek and then across to Broome for another short break and then a few days to do the last 1000ks home. Any tips you might have if our tracks cross or follow yours would be great.
Regards
Trevor & Lyndal
AnswerID: 566566

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 23:33

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 23:33
Trevor & Lyndal, why don't you spend the first couple of weeks after pick up around the lower part of Queensland and then head down to Copeton Rally for a week and meet all the others, and get to inspect a whole lot of little personal modifications that BT owners do.

You could consider taking the Mt Isa to Boulia (good bitumen) and then the Plenty Highway over to Alice. We were going to do the Plenty & Tanami last year but it got rained out and we had to do the Barkly hwy route.

While up above Mt Isa, Lawn Hill National Park would be worth stopping at.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844663

Follow Up By: Panna Trackers - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 03:04

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 03:04
Hi Brian & Margaret
We had considered the Copeton Rally and then down through Broken Hill and up to Alice.
We have a rainforrest block up near Millaa Millaa that we havn't been to for a couple of months and the shed is in danger of being over run and a little TLC is required around the place. That is what made up our mind for us.
I am sure there will be many more Rallies that we will attend when we are on the road full time.
Trevor & Lyndal
FollowupID: 844664

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:09

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:09
Sounds like a great trip. Don't forget to take your metal detector so you can top up the gold reserve when you go through Halls Creek.

We at currently at the ex farm/home packing the last of the goods and chattels. Then its down to the Victoria Highway and spin the coin to see if we turn left or right. Thats about the level of planning we do.

For finding camp sites - when only the best will do - we get off the main roads and onto the back roads/tracks at every opportunity. I did'nt have a problem all the way home. Will post as soon as I am organised.

Cheers John and Jean

FollowupID: 844665

Follow Up By: Panna Trackers - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:19

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:19
Hi John & Jean
We are about 2 1/2 years away from tossing the coin but like to practice on a regular basis. The only difference is, being a once upon a time sailor, I like to check which way the wind is blowing and then go with it.
You have our best wishes and our envy.
Safe and Happy travels
Trevor & Lyndal
FollowupID: 844666

Our Sponsors