12v power supply

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:25
ThreadID: 122060 Views:3501 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a need for a 12v power supply plug either inside or outside a van e.g.under the awning? If so what would such a "T" plug (not a cigarette lighter plug) be useful for? Has anyone expericnce with this situation? I would appreciate any feed-back as if these are useful it would be sensible to have done with the initial wiring.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:36

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:36
We have the 2 pin low voltage power point on the outside of van and I have made up a lead with a 2 pin plug on one end and with 2 cigarette lighter sockets on the other end. This is useful for use with any 12 volt item that you would plug into your cars lighter plug. ie mobile phone charger, and 12 volt fluoro lights.

The Winegard TV antenna came with a cig plug and this is used for powering the 12 volt LCD TV. I am about to install an additional 2 pin plug inside the van to run the Laptop off.

My recommendation would be to have an external 2 pin plug, on the awning side and on the inside one near where you intend to put the TV, and another near a bench where you can charge mobile phones, torches or the hundreds of other small items that come with 12 volt cig plugs.

By having it installed during construction, the wires can be run through the walls and not seen.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566587

Reply By: Kingy - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:59

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:59
When we go fishing, we take a 130L evakool fridge/freezer to keep the beverages chilled and under the awning, right beside my seat is the most logical place.
AnswerID: 566588

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:43

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:43
WE hand a 12v fluoro under the awning. When we are one spot for more than a night, I fix the light to one of the awning poles with a couple of cable ties. Wonderful for sitting out or lighting the BBQ. We retro fitted by tapping of the fridge wires via the vent

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566589

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:31
hi we just picked up our van 2 weeks ago had 2 cig tpes fitted in side & one out side $45 each (cheap for the flexibility it gives you) for the above reasons check with bt re outside type ours is not a t type nor a cig size it seems robust & waterproof but i now need an adapter or special plug which i was trying to avoid

AnswerID: 566590

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:36
I have got two 12 volt t plugs and two 240 plugs outside the BT. Cheap to put in during construction and a pain in the ass to do afterwards. 240v - power tools, soldering irons etc and the 12 volts for small bilge pump for pump bush water up to the van, lighting etc etc

Cheers John
AnswerID: 566591

Our Sponsors