surfing with a bt

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:43
ThreadID: 122061 Views:3891 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
we have just picked up our new van 20 ft 2660 kg tare we have a 2002 tdl/c with old man emu progressive heavy rear spring new shock & tortion bars when we did the suspension upgrade the vehicle rear went up 75 mm when we put the van on at bt the load took it down 35 mm it sits just about right with the vehicle sitting level & the van just down a little at the nose which is as recommended
when towing over the next 1600 km the van sits just as it should except we get as surfing effect particularly at lower speeds

any suggestions
wdh
get use to it
air bags ????

cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:30

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:30
G'day,
Definantly reccomend WDH. Recently bought one, unbelievable difference.
Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 566592

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 05:23

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 05:23
When you have the van loaded ready for use, take it and have the ball weight and gross weight checked. It is widely recommended that their should be about 10% of gross weight on the ball for stable towing.

We always use water from the rear tank and work forward, so that if anything we have too much weight on the ball as too little will cause you to loose control very quickly.

As Matt said a WDH makes a lot of difference to towing stability.

Even though you have had the rear suspension strengthened so that it doesn't drop like a standard suspension vehicle would, think of it as a see saw. The rear axel being the centre support of the see saw. When you place weight on the tow bar, this caravan weight takes weight off the front axle and this causes problems with steering and braking, especially when something unexpected happens and you have to take evasive action at speed.

In Steve's comparison between Landcruisers & Patrols compared to the longer wheel based F250's Dodge RAMS etc, the longer the wheel base of the tow vehicle the better TOW vehicle they will make. The Landcruiser off the factory floor is about 2600kg so your van when loaded will be equal to of heavier than the tow vehicle, so it is getting to its upper low limit.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844683

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:31

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:31
Da Ranger don know wat you meen by Surfing????

Please see my recent Posting on the Weight Distribution Hitch OK? That is the easiest fix to help things out... It actually transfers the weight further back onto the a-frame, lifts a little weight off the rear, and puts downward pressure on the front steering.... Or write me with more details so Ah can help....

Take care out there....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566593

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:42

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:42
stg our email server is down again trogan has bitten so i believe so i'll reply for other to follow if they want to
the surfing happens generally at low speed when travelling in a straight line when you are feathering the accelerator ie not really pulling the van with any force just lopping along to the next set of traffic lights say from kunda park to maroochydore where we first notice it the van & the tow vehicle seem to be going through gentle waves ie the van is going down the wave as the car goes up giving a surging effect does this make sense its not noticeable when pulling under load ie uphill or at speed

cheers

Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 844684

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:49

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:49
ps there is no sway involved
in our trip back to sydney 1600 k we got very little sway at any speed
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 844685

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:55

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:55
Alright,
I think I understand.... I would guess that you have the intermediate springs in you Cruiser, the 400 kg ones..? Maybe not, but in any case: You are running on the springing action, what you call surfing... Not abnormal in those conditions... You can fix it one of two ways maybe both to stiffen it up... First of all I would definitely recommend the WDH per my Posting... Three things if this is the case WDH, then the WDH, and if you are in doubt per my Posting on it: Get the WDH.

Also, if you are running heavily loaded in the truck and front cargo area, you can do what I did on my 100 Series and add the air bags in the springs... Just a little pump up, maybe only 20-30 pounds, when the van is on the back... Enought to firm it up...

Some feeling of that "bounding along" action is good as the ride is dampened by the tow vehicle... But if it is too much, it is hard on shocks and springs and ride and control.... Check your ball weight, run about 250 to 300 kg on the ball, and beware of polar loading, that is weight out on the polar ends...

I think the first thing to do is get the Weight Distribution Hitch, as it will immediately stiffen up the center towing point. Then decide if you need air bags in the springs.. You may not, unless you are really loading up the Cruiser as in gear in the back or a boat on top or something else... I did it with a spare carrier on the rear of the Cruiser and 250 litres of Long Range Tanks on my 100 Series, so when the van was on the back my springs needed a little help to ride with that firm control that is desireable...

Take care.... stg

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566594

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:56
We experienced similar bouncing last year on Gibb River Road but that was travelling 70 to 80 kph without WDH connected as we had just come back on the road from the rough stuff.

Put the WDH bars back on and no more bouncing.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 844686

Reply By: Freewheelers - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 02:59

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 02:59
thank you all seems wdh it is from my brief talks with people with wdh the are various sizes /strengths ??? what is the science behind choosing the right one ???
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 566595

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 21:13

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 21:13
There is only one size applicable to your needs, Hayman Reece will advise, it is the big one..... Solid Shank, etcetera... Kind Regards..

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844687

Our Sponsors